My First Gig - This Saturday!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default My First Gig - This Saturday!

I am going to be playing my first live set this Saturday at my friend's Graduation Party. I have my music all set up but I don't have all the equipment needed to DJ live yet.

I am going to be playing in my friends basement, and she has a Bose Surround Sound system... Now I know it's not the best choice to DJ on home theater systems but that's all she has has and she doesn't want to rent speakers. Is it OK if I connect and play a gig on her system? I don't want to blow them out.

I have:
    - Numark 4Trak
    - Dell Laptop

(My current Set-Up)
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...175#post624175

Any suggestions and advice would be great! As well as any other advice on beginner DJ sets and music suggestions for graduation parties. Thanks

Should be fine - just DON'T run the amp at 100%.

Just don't.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Should be fine - just DON'T run the amp at 100%.

Just don't.
    It's bose. It's ok if it blows. (pun intended)
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

If you're doing a house party, be prepared to slap a bitch at some point. You WILL get people coming over to you (men and women) trying to screw with your gear; the whole "oh let me DJ" thing. Either take a couple of mates with you to act as a barrier between you and them, or warm up your pimp hand

Nice tutorial here!
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 06-15-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

That is a nice start to it.

i used mouse, keyboard and a creaky old desktop at my first parties mate. you will be fine
    (not too may controllers around back in the day)
    Suggestion: make it clear before you start that you have no responisbility whatsoever for the stereo. that way your ass is covered when the inevitable occurs. which it will.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Suggestion: make it clear before you start that you have no responisbility whatsoever for the stereo. that way your ass is covered when the inevitable occurs. which it will.
    This. Even better, let the host be in control over the volume levels. That way there's NO way they can blame you whatsoever. I even do this - to a certain extent - in clubs. I ask the venue to pre-set the maximum volume for the night during sound check / system test, then start off lower and raise it throughout the night, never beyond that maximum. If something blows, that way it's not my fault.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

+1! And don't be afraid to tell people no when they request songs you don't have/don't want to play. You aren't their jukebox!

Have fun, don't get too drunk, and let us know how it goes!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

All great advice from everyone above - have an amazing time mate, but be careful and make sure you keep your eye on your equipment at all times, regardless of how trustworthy everyone looks at a party the pretty-pretty-shiny-shiny things will grab someones eye.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Make sure the BOSE isn't doing any fancy digital processing to your audio, as this'll introduce latency into your master output and force you to mix entirely in your headphones.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast