Novation Twitch or Akai APC40?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Novation Twitch or Akai APC40?

I used to mess about with digital DJing but drifted more into production. I create tracks mainly using Reason 7 rewired into Ableton 9 to get best of both. I then tend to master in Cubase 7.

However, I'm now looking to move back into DJing and ideally play my own tracks too. I'd probably be either using Ableton or Traktor to DJ, as I already have both.

However, just wondering what is the best route to go. I love the compactness of teh Twitch and what I've seen, plus Serato Itch looks intriguing. However, I've also seen people do some amazing DJing things with an APc40, which would lend itself more to the production side too but need some work on mapping.

Anyone got any recommendations for a nomad??
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Hey, I DJ with the APC80....in Traktor.

Its fucking awesome!

You can also have Live open at the same time and have part of the APC control it as well as Traktor in Dumb Mode.

Then you can also use it purely for Production....but its more of a live performance tool for Live.

Its easy to map...I have had not real issues.

Its tough...has colors...buttons...knobs...faders.

The Knobs are lacking tho...wish I had more.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

I could never figure out mixing with Ableton and the APC40. And using Traktor with the APC40 was doable, just a bit of a PITA. Much easier to get something an S2/S4/MC3000/MC6000 etc.

I'd try to figure out what software you want to use first.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

I'd try to figure out what software you want to use first.
    This 100% ... I have an APC40 and found it to be a complete pain in the ass to even attempt mapping it remotely as i'd like for traktor - it just honestly has completely no resemblance whatsoever to whats on screen and it makes it extremely frustrating to use.

However for Ableton - its a completely different beast and almost perfect in every way however IMHO its lacking some basics for DJ purposes (channel EQ's and gains for example) which is going to take up precious knobs.

I'm not a fan of layering or soft-takeover for DJ'ing whatsoever and especially not for DJ'ing.

You could also look into the VCM600 which IMHO is a much better dual purpose machine (if you are intent on using both softwares) however its lack of encoders might be an issue with Ableton if you intend on using multiple banks of effects. Also perhaps look at some of the new Behringer CMD range or even livid Instruments.

Am I not using one of your original mappings Deevey?

I think so....

Anyways...I have mutated it for APC80 and added and taken away quite a bit.

Love having access to all 8 Cue's on 4 decks. Added Flux Mode Button a while back and does the job for me!

I kill it each time I jam on it!

But its getting a bit long in the tooth now the APC.

Better equipment out these days.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Such as?

I'm looking for something that I can ideally use as a production tool in Ableton and Reason and also a DJing tool in Traktor. However, if that's too difficult, I'd attempt to DJ within Ableton.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Livid make some Custom Midi Controllers that can be used with any software.

That could suit your needs.

Am I not using one of your original mappings Deevey?
    \

You are ?? .... oh dear LOL, I didn't think any of my mappings even worked for anyone - glad to see you got something out of it

Such as?

I'm looking for something that I can ideally use as a production tool in Ableton and Reason and also a DJing tool in Traktor. However, if that's too difficult, I'd attempt to DJ within Ableton.
    2 x Allen and Heath K2's could be dual purposed pretty darn well.

Also look at:

- Behringer CMD Series
    - Livid Ohm
    - Ableton Push

I've now spotted the S4 is discounted at the moment, bringing it into my price range.

S4, Novation Twitch or APC40?

I could survive the production with my M-Audio Oxygen keyboard so could be looking at a dedicated DJ controller now.

Is Twitch and Itch combo better value than S4 and Traktor (which I already own)? Can APC40 and Ableton (which i already own)be a just as good DJ setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    Is Twitch and Itch combo better value than S4 and Traktor (which I already own)? Can APC40 and Ableton (which i already own)be a just as good DJ setup?
    Ableton + APC40 is a wickedly versitile DJ setup (which I use), however:

1. Takes alot of preparation in advance to get things where you want.
    2. You do end up watching the screen somewhat more than with a Traktor setup
    3. Still limited as to what knob does what WITHOUT switching layers.
    4. Ableton still does not have the most basic DJ functions out of the box e.g. Channel EQ's (without Racks) Multiple Waveforms, PROPER browser and oodles more.

However if remixing / sampling / integrating your own tracks into the mix and literally "producing on the fly" is your thing then it may be exactly what you are looking for.

However if you are looking to straight up, DJ, by this I mean literally have everything at hand to throw together a few tracks on the fly without giving your brain cells a minor meltdown once you've had a few beers, the S4 100% hands down is a killer deal at the new price IMHO and I'd jump on it for regular DJ gigs where its honestly just not worthwhile being "Live".

You can always throw the s4 into midi mode anyhow for production purposes in Ableton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast