For those thinking about disassembling a S4
    Tech Convert

Default For those thinking about disassembling a S4

So I was brought to this forum by Googling "Kontrol S4 Disassembly"

And was lead to a thread that had no real answers on how to remove the front three circuit boards.

Well I attempted it myself and shot a short video of where I am so far with it. So you can see how, or why not, to disassemble your S4 past the main cross fader.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Wow man, sorry to hear that... At least this post will make others to think twice before trying to crack it open.

Tech Convert

Well, thanks, but just as a update I did get the other side and even the center and top glue on covers off without harm. I just had to be much more conscious about how much heat I was applying.

And just for reference, both sides only use two nuts on the knob to tie it to the front... The center uses A LOT, on every knob.

But I do have everything out, and was able to try to clean the damaged components before ordering replacements. I actually set everything back up and insulated all the circuit boards from each other so I could test everything, here is a pic.

So in the end this should be fine, I ordered a acrylic sheet and will cut out and place custom graphics on both sides, I suppose I could do the center also... but would like to have this done next week.

Attached Images Attached Images

I didnt knwo it was three different main boards. My biggest beef with the s4 is the placement of the jog wheels above the buttons..... I think I know a way to fix that.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Explain again why you felt the need to open it up in the first place?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Explain again why you felt the need to open it up in the first place?
    It's owner decided to set up near a pool, as a guest cannon balled into the pool water was splashed onto the control damaging a couple components. So for me this is a repair job cleaning and replacing the damaged components.