Insight Wanted! Strange night-club regulations in Japan.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Insight Wanted! Strange night-club regulations in Japan.

Hi,

I am posting today to get some insight regarding the night club regulations that exist in Japan.

--

In Japan, if a venue wants to serve food/drinks, play music, and allow the customers to dance all at the same time, it must obtain an "adult entertainment permit".

The permit restricts the operation of a venue in several ways. One such restriction is that the venue may not be open between 0 a.m. and sunrise.

This makes it impossible for big obviously-intended-to-be-a-nightclub venues to legally stay open after midnight, and for smaller bars and cafes (usually running without the permit) to stay legal, the manager would have to go around telling the customers to stop dancing - if they start moving their bodies to the music.

--

What are your thoughts? Do you think this is a good idea? On the contrary?
    Do you have similar regulations in your country? What are those like? Where is this?

Any feedback will be much appreciated! Thank you.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Seriously Insane rules, and yet on reading some forums some (even youngsters) seem to think that its a good idea in order to curb the illegalities that DO go hand in hand with the nightclub industry

Its a jab at trying to curb other illegal activities (drugs/prostitution) rather than a jab at Underground clubs from what I see. However its a really long shot in the dark, certainly its not a solution. All it does is simply move the problems to harder to reach locations and makes them yet more difficult to deal with in the future.

As the saying goes "better the devil you know" .. well its being ignored this time.

For now perhaps the simple solution is "Dj Boxes" instead of Karaoke Boxes.

And yes for many many years Ireland had many weird and wonderful laws regarding clubs/bars/dancing etc ... at one point the closing time was changed from 3am to 1am! (bear in mind opening time was 11pm!)
    Last edited by deevey; 06-22-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Tech Mentor

deevey, thanks for the feedback!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

PumpUp TheDJ

Nice to see ya dude!

Tech Mentor

Hey Stewe, I've been busy thinking of what to do next and not really doing anything... Time for action!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Yeah! Looking forwards to seeing new stuff.

This peaked my curiosity and made me look into the laws here. According to our laws in Clark County, NV operating a theater license you must shut down at 2am if serving alcohol but can run 24 hours without a bar. If you are serving food you must shut down at midnight. If serving food and alcohol you must shut down at 11pm. With a special event permit you cannot serve food and run past 11pm unless using a catering service. strange
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post

And yes for many many years Ireland had many weird and wonderful laws regarding clubs/bars/dancing etc ... at one point the closing time was changed from 3am to 1am! (bear in mind opening time was 11pm!)
    thats pretty crazy. Around here headline djs dont start until 3am at some places. It's kind of a pain in the ass really.

Tech Mentor

>hellnagative
    Yeah, I figured restricting the serving of alcohol is pretty common in american states. The weirdness in Japan is that the law actually restricts dancing. (Or, the venue allowing the customers to dance

>Xonetacular
    Same here in Japan. So all the headliners are DJing past the legal business hours.

When i was DJing around in NYC in the late 90's there were restrictions that required any institution that had people dancing require a "cabaret license". It wasn't so much a problem with the big clubs, they would just pay, but the little bars never did and it was pretty absurd. There were NO DANCING signs in a lot of the bars. Looking back, I'm sad I never picked one up from one of the restaurant supply stores.

Basically once the body movement got past foot tappin and head noddin, they would get the bouncer to go around and literally tell people to stop. I even had one joint tell me to stop playing so funky. Thing was, there were cops that would go to these joints and fine them 5 bills a dancer or something absurd like that, so I can understand why they didn't want to get hit with that. It just made for some really awkward nights. Especially cause dance music was huge at that point in NYC with tons of active record shops, clubs, DJs, etc..

The effect though was that it pushed the culture into illegal venues. For a while we ran a roof top party which got pretty hot because it was one of the few places you could actually dance without paying mega club prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast