2nd Gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gig

Tech Wizard

Default 2nd Gig

Ok, So Yesterday was my first gig, and it went great. I played on a Bose surround sound system at my friends house (yeah, I know...), but everything went great!

Anyway I have a 2nd gig coming up and It will be at an actual venue, and i managed to borrow a pair of 15 inch Passive JBL's. (I don't know what model)

Now, I never used a PA system before, so I don't exactly know what to use to run a successful gig.
    I was told I need a mixer (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...k-ub1202-mixer)
    to connect to my Numark 4Trak, and then connect to the Speakers?
    Is this true? Would I also need an Amplifier?

I'm so lost...

I would think that I could just run XLR cables from the back of my 4Trak directly into the speakers.

So do I need an Amplifier? A Mixer? and what cables?

Thanks!

- Nitrotix

If it's at a music venue it's normal for the venue to have a mixer and speakers

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Tech Wizard

By venue I meant a party hall, not like a club setting. Sorry. I have to bring all the live sound equipment.

Tech Guru

no mixer needed. Connect to the amp directly, then amp to speakers. You need to find an amp or another set of PA speakers that are powered

Tech Wizard

Alright, I'm sure the person I got the speakers from also has a amplifier... Nothing else is required for a basic set up?

I'm just gonna be playing music, not some serious performance (I'm only providing music for a graduation party)

Tech Guru

Ok if they have the amp that's easy. As for cables, if you don't have any, you'll have to look at the amp itsef and see what it has for inputs. Honestly you should just go out, if you haven't already, and invest in the basic cables needed to hook up the 4trak......... get a pair of like 5' RCA's, a pair of XLR male to XLR female ( 8'-15' or so), and a pair of XLR female to TRS mono male (8'-15' or so). With those 3 sets of cables, you should be able to plug into pretty much any PA system.

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I have the Regular RCA cables... As for investing, i know the basics of what I have to buy, but right now, with college costs and all that, It's really hard to put money aside. But most of the people here have the same problem lol

Thanks alot, I am gonna start looking for cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrotix View Post
    Yeah, I have the Regular RCA cables... As for investing, i know the basics of what I have to buy, but right now, with college costs and all that, It's really hard to put money aside. But most of the people here have the same problem lol

Thanks alot, I am gonna start looking for cables.
    When he says invest, he means go on eBay and buy some cables. We're talking like 99p per cable, so relax
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Wizard

Cheapest cables here are around $10-$15 (2meters) so all those cables a longer lengths would come out to around 100+
    which doesn't seem like a lot but at the moment I am broke... I understand the point of putting money in, I am not trying to sound cheap. I was just asking what my options were with what I have right now.

I managed to get Powered Kustom KPM 10's

What do I need to hook up to those? *I have a 4Trak*
    Do I need a mixer or just hook up straight to the 4Trak?

I still don't understand when You need an amp or a mixer... :P

Tech Guru

You need 2 standard XLR-to-XLR cables to connect the 4Trak to powered speakers.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast