Home studio monitor recommendations sought - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Tech Guru Timbo21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It's Britainy Bitch
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Haha, yes the tissue. I worked with Bob Clearmountain once.

    The whole tissue thing was stupid, since the tissue didn't decrease the hard midrange

    NS10's endured for a ridiculous length of time. You're not gonna get anything that great under 200

  2. #22
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    42

    Default

    So you have "Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 32GB RAM, NVidia GTX 660 Ti), Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Steinberg Cubase 7, Propellerhead Reason 7, Ableton Suite 9, Traktor Pro 2.6.1 NI Kontakt 5, NI Massive, NI FM8, NI Reaktor, Spectrasonics Omnnisphere, u-He Zebra 2, Camel Audio Alchemy, Rob Papen Albino, Rob Papen Blade, NI Traktor Kontrol S4, NI Traktor Kontrol F1, M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2, Akai LPD8"
    .....but want cheap speakers, can you say piracy?

  3. #23
    Tech Guru Bunford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjGil View Post
    So you have "Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 32GB RAM, NVidia GTX 660 Ti), Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Steinberg Cubase 7, Propellerhead Reason 7, Ableton Suite 9, Traktor Pro 2.6.1 NI Kontakt 5, NI Massive, NI FM8, NI Reaktor, Spectrasonics Omnnisphere, u-He Zebra 2, Camel Audio Alchemy, Rob Papen Albino, Rob Papen Blade, NI Traktor Kontrol S4, NI Traktor Kontrol F1, M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2, Akai LPD8"
    .....but want cheap speakers, can you say piracy?
    How can I pirate hardware? Also, no cracked version of Cubase 7 or Reason 7 and I've got a Komplete 8 hence he NI stuff, Traktor with my S4 etc. I'm also someone in a full time job but doing a part time degree so get educational discounts on stuff like Ableton and the other synths.

    Sometimes it's safer to ask and not make offensive assumptions. Eejit!

    Anyway, for anyone who's interested I invested in a pair of RCF Ayra 5s as my monitors. Or, for the sake of some eejit called DjGil, lets assume I somehow pirated them.

    Some right twonks on this planet who have nothing better to do than assume the worst in people. Sad really.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

  4. #24
    Tech Guru Timbo21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It's Britainy Bitch
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Any good?

  5. #25
    Tech Guru Bunford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Any good?
    When I listened in a local DJ shop, yeah. However, they wanted more than other shops online for them so ordered them with free 3m TRS to XLR cables from Dolphin Music (in UK) for 249. Being delivered on Tuesday and probably won't set up fully until the weekend so will let you know then. Revamping my home studio setup next weekend with new speakers, new dual 24" 1080 mmonitors, my new Maschine etc.

    Will let you know after I've set it all up.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

  6. #26
    DJTT Scribe Mod smiTTTen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Then: UK. Now: US.
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjGil View Post
    So you have "Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 32GB RAM, NVidia GTX 660 Ti), Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Steinberg Cubase 7, Propellerhead Reason 7, Ableton Suite 9, Traktor Pro 2.6.1 NI Kontakt 5, NI Massive, NI FM8, NI Reaktor, Spectrasonics Omnnisphere, u-He Zebra 2, Camel Audio Alchemy, Rob Papen Albino, Rob Papen Blade, NI Traktor Kontrol S4, NI Traktor Kontrol F1, M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2, Akai LPD8"
    .....but want cheap speakers, can you say piracy?
    I assume your other 35 posts are immensely more helpful than this one?
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

  7. #27
    Tech Guru Polygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A salt mine in Michigan
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    450 for the pair+ amp.
    I'd say go active. bx8, mr8 etc
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

  8. #28
    Tech Guru Polygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A salt mine in Michigan
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smiTTTen View Post
    I assume your other 35 posts are immensely more helpful than this one?
    :P
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

  9. #29
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    IMO, really go into a store and take a listen.

    I went to Guitar Center this past weekend and listened to Tannoy Reveal 501A, KRK Rokit 5s, Yamaha HS50M, and Yamaha HS80M.

    You need to find the pair of monitors that fit your ears best. For me, it was the HS50M (I'd love the HS80, but they're out of my price range and just too big). The KRK Rokits were muddy, but they had a nice bass response. Tannoys were very nice as well in at louder volumes, but they didn't have a big bass sound at lower volumes. The Yamaha HS50Ms sat in the middle with a very accurate sound throughout all volumes, but the bass was lacking throughout.

  10. #30
    Tech Guru Bunford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Yeah. I listened to the RCF Ayra 5, Rokit 5, Alesis M1 530 and Yamaha HS50 in my local DJ shop before settling on the Ayra 5s. In the shop they just seemed to have a nice mix of the Yamaha and KRK's. The look is like a mix between KRK (connectivity, rounded front of casing etc) and the Yamahas (white cone etc). However, the sound was clear in the bass range, unlike the overly bass-tastic KRK's and more present than the Yamaha and Alesis ones. Also, the mids and highs were smooth, non harsh and had a nice brightness, which was very similar to the Yamaha's in this respect.

    Like I said, mine should be arriving tomorrow so will wait and see until I set them up on the weekend!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •