Digital "Importing?"

Default Digital "Importing?"

So heres a little issue thats been aggravating me waaay more than it should.

First up, watch this mix, it's a bit old, but it's pretty interesting, and I figure I owe it to D&G to plug them at this point. Guy doesn't even turn auto-cue on and still slams the stream.

So that was pretty good, and those Clubland Hardcore comps seem like a pretty easy way to build up a half-decent library of UK/HH. Minor problem: they're not released outside of the UK.

Well thats easy, I think, Ill just import the CDs, people have been doing that for ages, pay a few dollars extra and get some fun content basically nobody here has.

Major problem: The pressed CDs are all mix CDs, with the 3rd disc of the comp being basically the video above. Hacked up sub-2min tracks being thrown around at exit velocity; a great mix, but not really playable tracks.
    Well here's the migraine part: iTunes/Trackitdown/etc all have the full, massive, extended versions of the comp, complete with the vocals and bootlegs split. And theres virtually no way to cheese the download region locks without a valid UK billing address. My local import record shop can't venture across the goddamn seas to get me the full versions of these tracks, but a chav in Peckham can download them all on his phone in 5 minutes via fucking iTunes.

So uhhh... How does this work? Or does someone with a UK account want to help out?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    So uhhh... How does this work? Or does someone with a UK account want to help out?
    You are asking someone to do something illegal on this forum. If someone with a UK account buys iTunes tracks and then sells them to you, that is illegal (no grey area). Might be disagreeable but it's illegal.

Of course if anyone wants to respond they could take this conversation away from DJTT.

Tech Guru
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Can't you just find the track list and buy the tunes you like, like everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    Can't you just find the track list and buy the tunes you like, like everyone else?
    they have region restrictions. finding the tracklists is easy. finding a store or label that sells them isn't.
    Last edited by Era 7; 06-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Tech Guru

Jeez. Never seen someone mix so quickly. Pretty insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    You are asking someone to do something illegal on this forum. If someone with a UK account buys iTunes tracks and then sells them to you, that is illegal (no grey area). Might be disagreeable but it's illegal.

Of course if anyone wants to respond they could take this conversation away from DJTT.
    Under the most recent DMCA revision, it isn't illegal to own or acquire a digital copy of something you own a physical version of. So no, actually, this isn't illegal. Also the only restriction placed on the purchase is a valid UK billing address, what happens to the file afterwards between valid license holders is up to the DRM placed on the file (none, in this case).

But I'm obviously discussing this with a mod, so I'm talking against the wind here.

Tech Mentor

What do you own the physical copy of, the mix cd?