Who has made the switch from Controllers to DVS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When we say "vinyl", we don't really mean vinyl, we mean DVS - most of the time anyway. And I started off DJ'ing on the S4, and moved to CDJ's now and personally the moment I made the switch to straight CDJ's I felt a different connection with my music (I only use USBs btw - no computer connected). It was just so much more fun and engaging for me personally. Definitely got more of a sense of satisfaction. Plus it's MADE me absolutely work on all my basics.

Tech Wizard

I cant really say im a true vinyl dj using DVS just cuz true vinyl has a way better sound than compressed MP3s. I definitely agree with back to basics, i have moved away from the sync button completely now and i really feel like I am starting to get that connection with getting to know my tracks again (Like with true vinyl).

I think porter & zedd can get away with controllers just because, one they are widely recognized producers and two they are constantly touring. I couldn't imagine dragging around Technics all over the world, props to the old heads that did it!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    . They were rockin the s4 and still became famous.
    Became famous off their music....not skills DJ'n

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Became famous off their music....not skills DJ'n
    There are very few djs who become famous from just their djing. Laidback like who is one of the more technical and dynamic djs out there got recognized for his production first. It's really only hip-hop/scratch djs who become incredibly famous for djing, and they put out remixes too (see: DJ AM)

Sigh @ this thread.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    There are very few djs who become famous from just their djing. Laidback like who is one of the more technical and dynamic djs out there got recognized for his production first. It's really only hip-hop/scratch djs who become incredibly famous for djing, and they put out remixes too (see: DJ AM)
    No doubt. I never would dispute that. I'm saying the statement about Zedd and Porter use controllers and it didn't hold them back from becoming famous is irrelevant, because that's not why they're famous. No different then me saying that Will I AM uses an S4 and it didn't hold him back from becoming famous.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Sigh @ this thread.
    Then why post?

I switched from controllers to dvs, and then added a controller, then added in my other controller, and now it's mostly scratching on the tts and using the x1 to select music so I don't have to touch my laptop. A lot of times though, it's just scratching vinyl, not dvs.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Then why post?

I switched from controllers to dvs, and then added a controller, then added in my other controller, and now it's mostly scratching on the tts and using the x1 to select music so I don't have to touch my laptop. A lot of times though, it's just scratching vinyl, not dvs.
    on not touching the laptop! that is why i keep the f1 around. TBH im not a fan of the remix decks after using ableton for so long, but its great for cues and keeping my hands of my laptop!

Tech Mentor

My 1st Technics 1200 M3D will be arriving today and I cannot wait to start using it. I was using a S2 and while it is lighter, more portable and easier to setup than a mixer and TTs. I get way more enjoyment from using the TT's than I ever did with a controller. FYI I have been using a friends Technics. I will prob only take one to a gig (all I have for now but plan to get another) and use my Z2 & X1 to control everything else within Traktor.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    When we say "vinyl", we don't really mean vinyl, we mean DVS - most of the time anyway. And I started off DJ'ing on the S4, and moved to CDJ's now and personally the moment I made the switch to straight CDJ's I felt a different connection with my music (I only use USBs btw - no computer connected). It was just so much more fun and engaging for me personally. Definitely got more of a sense of satisfaction. Plus it's MADE me absolutely work on all my basics.
    This. I started with an S4. Just felt soulless. No offense to controller users. It's fun. But CDJs/TT's seem that much more personal. I'd love to have both, to be honest (CDJs + controller). CDJs and a mixer just work better for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast