Who has made the switch from Controllers to DVS? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

i just recently added a pair of technics m3d's to my s4 setup. i feel like a total noob on the decks, but it is really different and makes me think more about the music, the arc of a mix, and kinda feels like for the first time i'm dejaying. the responsiveness of control vinyl is phenomenal.

i think i relied so much on the sync button on an s4 and all the other gadgetry that i'd end up going ok these tracks are synced together, lets go crazy on the fx!!!! but working with the turntables and not having a screen in front of me, has really made me delve deeper into eqing and perfecting the sound of the mix instead.

the learning curve is steep, and in a lot of ways you lose functionality going to DVS, so i don't think it is for everyone. i also want to use the tt's for sampling/producing, adding turntable fx to my own music, learning to scratch, and ultimately being club ready. i think for someone who has no idea how to use turntables to suddenly switch from controllers to DVS, like me, its a pretty big risk of 'hm, will this be the right thing for me?' and i seriously doubt it is for everyone... i took the risk, loving it so far.

I've been DJ professionally for over 10 years and was into audio production/engineering way before that. CDs were the norm when I started playing out. Although I have a pretty large record collection (about 30 crates or so), vinyl was often too restrictive for a variety of reasons. It was only feasible if you were playing a niche genre or you were on a bunch of major label promo lists getting free 12-inches. It was just easier to walk into a club with a CD book and headphones.

Nowadays, in most major cities, decent clubs have turntables installed and the laptop+interface has replaced the CD book. I think that's where the anti-controller viewpoint comes from. It often says to the audience (if they can see what you're using) that you haven't been a DJ for very long and don't play in larger clubs. Don't get me wrong, when I do mobile gigs I wish I could just walk in with a controller (my turntable case is 100+ pounds and my DJ style is the same on whatever I use), but clients usually want the visual of real turntables.

The funny thing is that now you have (at least in my city) hipster/scenster-type guys using SSL (with a top-of-the-line macbook of course), that don't even own turntables or actual records themselves, so they never practice or learn the tools. Without a sync button to help them they sound HORRIBLE. It makes me wish they would at least buy a controller or something and learn how to not make a mockery of DJing.

BTW- If you think using DVS is hard, try doing a gig with real records. You have to BPM and mark tracks/cue points BY HAND.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by coolout
    You have to BPM and mark tracks/cue points BY HAND.
    Ah, the "good" old days!

Message to the kids: We used to have to count how many beats there were in a track in ten seconds, then multiply that by 6 to get a rough BPM for that track. Some DJ's would stick a label on the sleeve, or scribble the BPM on the record label.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

damn... looks like this thread is a bust after all...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Ah, the "good" old days!

Message to the kids: We used to have to count how many beats there were in a track in ten seconds, then multiply that by 6 to get a rough BPM for that track. Some DJ's would stick a label on the sleeve, or scribble the BPM on the record label.
    I've always played one genre, so that's never been an issue. Now I'm playing more footwork and the temposync comes in handy because we're talking about 15-20 bpm jumps.

I'm in the process of going from a controller to DVS. I just have to wait to sell my S4 for the Z2. I decided space is more important than 4 decks.

I also have crates of real vinyl that I can't wait to bring back out.

Turntables just really draw people. No matter where I go, the average person just seems to be much more into dj's that are playing vinyl, or "vinyl."

Tech Mentor

Ah, the "good" old days!

I've been playing vinyl for over 15 years, and NEVER tried to work out the BPM of a track. I just stuck on the next slab, and beatmatched it... Why would you need to know the BPM?
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Wizard

I've had a few gigs, with 50+ people, and I have noticed people just stare. Perhaps it is because they're not used to seeing a DJ with just a mixtrack pro. I have been wanting to go down the DVS route but I need some money first.

Hotcues? How about a half moon sticker right in the middle of the record to jump to a point?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I use an NS7. Very few people (mostly other DJ's) look at the NS7 and know it is a controller. Most people look at it, see the spinning vinyl on the platters, and think it is a pair of turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man
    I've been playing vinyl for over 15 years, and NEVER tried to work out the BPM of a track. I just stuck on the next slab, and beatmatched it... Why would you need to know the BPM?
    House DJ, are you???

There's your answer, then.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast