Controller question
    Tech Wizard

Default Controller question

So I have a mixtrack pro currently and I am having a lot of fun with it. I had been a vinyl scratch dj for about 7 years and thought I would see what the controller thing was all about. I am very happy with the switch over except for the responsiveness on the jog wheels. Now don't get me wrong I am not trying to scratch as I mainly spin house/dance music and I know the mixtrack pro isnt exactly a pro piece of gear, but it has left me desiring a bit.

I have been looking at the kontrol s2 as I dont think I will really need 4 deck control (I also have a midi fighter spectra and there are mappings for that anyway if I do). I read that they have HID jog wheels and being made by native instruments I would assume this means it would be the tightest response of a jog wheel for traktor.

Can anyone confirm this? Or do you have any other suggestions for a controller with very responsive jog wheels?

Thanks in advance

Tech Guru

I can't confirm if the jogwheels are indeed the most responsive. (I've heard the same and it makes sense that they are, though) However, they are TINY and I assume that you won't really enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    I can't confirm if the jogwheels are indeed the most responsive. (I've heard the same and it makes sense that they are, though) However, they are TINY and I assume that you won't really enjoy them.
    Vouch.. The jogs are very small

Tech Mentor

Behringer CMD Studio 4A's jog wheels are big and extremely accurate, although they get dirty quite easily.

Regarding the S2's, they are pretty small.

Tech Guru

If you want decent jog wheel performance without spending too much, you'll have to go for Serato/VDJ/etc rather than Traktor.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Danek View Post
    Behringer CMD Studio 4A's jog wheels are big and extremely accurate, although they get dirty quite easily.

Regarding the S2's, they are pretty small.
    hmm I didnt even think about the cmd studio, looks pretty nice though thanks for the suggestion. I am just worried about build quality because behringer doesn't have the best rep for it, but a 3 year warranty is pretty awesome.

It's just a bit of an adjustment to push a button to bring in a track rather than letting go of a record in time like I am used to. So outside of size of the wheel, would I notice a big difference in responsiveness with the s2 jogs compared to the mixtrack?

Thanks again guys

Tech Guru

Unless you're planning on scratching, I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in jog wheels with the controllers mentioned so far.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you want decent jog wheel performance without spending too much, you'll have to go for Serato/VDJ/etc rather than Traktor.
    are you referring to the software cost? Or that serato and vdj have better jog wheel support than traktor? I own all 3 of them but really only use traktor