DDJ S1 or NI S4, final decision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DDJ S1 or NI S4, final decision

Hello,

I am still not 100% sure which one to choose, Pioneer DDJ S1 or Traktor S4.
    I am more a producer than a DJ, but still I will be looking for gigs in near future (ok shouldnt maybe call them gigs coz most of them wont be real edm parties, but just a regular saturday club night).

The thing I really like in S1 compared to S4 is that it seems much bigger and much "wider", in S4 everything seems so narrow and therefore like a toy and looks less "professional".

On the other hand, I will definitely need the use of sync in first few weeks/months and I've read a few people complaining that S1 has much worse Synching and even a misplaced button so its easy to accidentally press it.

Can you give me any final ideas? Money is not really my problem, 50$ +- wont change anything.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Traktor equals S4.

skip both and get the ddjsx
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    skip both and get the ddjsx
    THIS ^^^^^ All day long.

The ONLY all-in-one controller I would consider for DJ-ing
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Arisen View Post
    I am more a producer than a DJ
    As a Serato SL user, I say you need the Traktor S4 for this reason alone.

Remix decks are going to make your live production sets VERY easy. Plus if you want to integrate Ableton Live, it's easier than on SeratoDJ (Which doesn't have bridge yet).

The money you save (something like $400) could go towards better production gear...like a new synth or something

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    THIS ^^^^^ All day long.

The ONLY all-in-one controller I would consider for DJ-ing
    Hmm, it definitely looks better (in general), but what specifical things would make SX that much better than S1? Or to ask in a different way, why would you choose SX over S1? Coz its not so small difference in price, around 300$ I think.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dj_adm View Post
    As a Serato SL user, I say you need the Traktor S4 for this reason alone.

Remix decks are going to make your live production sets VERY easy. Plus if you want to integrate Ableton Live, it's easier than on SeratoDJ (Which doesn't have bridge yet).

The money you save (something like $400) could go towards better production gear...like a new synth or something

Well I dont really intent to make my live production, after all the genre I produce (hardstyle) is not too popular in my country so I would probably be playing more house-ish stuff on my gigs. 400$? I didnt go in full details about the price, but I definitely didnt notice such big difference??
    I've looked on ebay and the difference is around 100-200$ that I've noticed?

With the sx you have the nice 8 pads below the jog wheel, you can use a product that is almost identical to industry standard, etc. etc. etc.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

The DDJ-SX is a better controller... But it's only natively supported with Serato. If you're set on Traktor, the DDJ-SX is a waste since the jogwheels (arguably its best feature) will be a complete waste. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the touch-sensitive pads.

If deciding between the S1 and the S4... I really see no reason to go with the former. It's not natively supported, either. If you're worried about how it looks, get a flight case for your S4.

why in this world would you choose the s1? It's an outdated piece of plastic with jogwheels that have been designed by the finest producers of rough sandpaper in the whole universe.

Traktor will give you more producer-oriented features, live remixing and stuff.

You CAN use the ddjsx (far better choice than the s1) with traktor, but with major limitations due to no NHL (hid) support in traktor.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast