About givin it up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default About givin it up

I'm not sad about it, but realistic.

If it goes on like this I'm quitting, but i really won't.

My problem is my job takes a great part of my energies and other than that I travel 2h per day to get to work, so I have very little time for my self. I'm away from home like 12h/24.

On top of that I'm not able to emerge. I've tried very hard when i was writing my final thesis (a lot of free time!), knowing people, exercising, learning, social networking and so on. I djed in a little pub 5/6 times, a wedding and few private parties but nothing more.

Now I'm playing in my bedroom only since 6 months.

I simply can't continue to learn for myself only. I see it like if I have and audience and I getting something from it (at least for cover the gear costs) I putting all my self and my free time on it because i really like it. But do it only for myself, my entertainment... Nope. I can't exercise, digging new tracks and beatgrid and cue them to play in my bedroom. It just doesn't worth my time.

I'm in the middle: I need an excuse to push myself hard in it (like a job opportunity), I can't continue spending time and money for nothing.

And I'm sad because the few times I've done it in public I was really in love with it.
    And I'm sad because I don't want to criticize other DJs but in many occasion I found myself in a club thinking "I can do it at least well like that, probably better" but they play in pubblic and I don't.

Anyone have already felt like this?

How it ended?

Thanks

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

After 6 months you played a few gigs and you are complaining ...

1. If you do it becuase you love it and its not paying but you still put in the effort because you love it. Its a hobby - hobbies rarely pay, however you might break even over time.

2. If you do it because it pays well and you enjoy it. Its a dream job - few have this

3. If you do it because it pays well and you hate the stuff you play and the people you have to deal with - its a regular job.

Sounds like you want to do #2 ... but don't love it quite enough to make it to #3 where you might progress to #2

So gotta ask
    How many years did you put into your degree?
    Will you love what you do in that field as much as DJ'ing ?
    Would you expect a dream job in that field after fooling around in your bedroom for 6 months ?

Opportunities are given to those with experience and talent and its rare in any music industry position that you will be paid at all when starting out - 6 months is NOTHING.

Just get the finger out make some contacts, pimp the hell out of yourself, join an agency if you can, play gigs or drop it for a 9-5 if you feel that what you love is not worth the $ you spend on it (which also begs the question what is costing so much - music is not that expensive if you already have the gear ?)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    After 6 months you played a few gigs and you are complaining ...

1. If you do it becuase you love it and its not paying but you still put in the effort because you love it. Its a hobby - hobbies rarely pay, however you might break even over time.

2. If you do it because it pays well and you enjoy it. Its a dream job - few have this

3. If you do it because it pays well and you hate the stuff you play and the people you have to deal with - its a regular job.

Sounds like you want to do #2 ... but don't love it quite enough to make it to #3 where you might progress to #2

So gotta ask
    Will you love what you do in that field as much as DJ'ing ?
    Would you expect a dream job in that field after fooling around in your bedroom for 6 months ?

Opportunities are given to those with experience and talent and its rare in any music industry position that you will be paid at all when starting out - 6 months is NOTHING.

Just get the finger out make some contacts, pimp the hell out of yourself, join an agency if you can, play gigs or drop it for a 9-5 if you feel that what you love is not worth the $ you spend on it (which also begs the question what is costing so much - music is not that expensive if you already have the gear ?)
    I can had make some mistakes explaining myself, my language it's not english.

So, i aim neither to #2 or #3. I play commercial house (or chillout/deep house where there's not a dancefloor) so mostly, the music I play it's the music people like. I aim to play sometimes out of my home and for AT LEAST 50/100$ at time, the minimum to cover some gear / gas / ... I don't want to become rich DJing i just will be happy if it worth the effort and the expenses.

Other than that I'm not DJing since 6 month. I tried home for 2 years and then for six months i started searching for gigs/clubs/pubs/... I get something but now its 6 month I don't play in public. Was that clear? Maybe I explained myself the wrong way.

Quit, sell your gear and take up a hobby that you are patio nate about. Fame and glory doesn't happen overnight, so if you arent interested in practicing by yourself and just want to play infront of people, find a hobby that you don't need to practice at and can just be good.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

As usual, in forum discussions... Extremist who don't even read the post.

The question was:

Quote Originally Posted by Sprike View Post

Anyone have already felt like this?

How it ended?

Thanks
    Your reply should be "No, never felt like that".

Good for you.

Good luck on your journey

I've been on and off since 2004... Working 8-9s most everyday with only the guarantee of Sunday off, which ended up being our "family" day...

I had to make a decision this past year to take a pay cut and do what I want to do and enjoy life for once. I now work 8-4, have every weekend off, and TIME to do what I want to do. I spend at least an hour a day on my music and the rest of the time with my wife and two boys.

I'm just now starting to gig again but that's not why I do it. I DJ bc I love music and helping others have a good time. some years I have more gigs, some I have none BUT I will never and I mean NEVER give up.

I understand if you are spending additional money and not getting a return on investment...just make sure the money you spend is extra money and not going to cause you stress financially.

At the end of the day you need to decide if you are doing it for the money or doing it bc you love it. If the answer is money you might as well pack it up
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Mentor

I've played for 5 years at home and only have 3-4 gigs in a 6 month span, which is ok for me, since I'm picky with what I choose. I'm surprised you even have gigs after 6 months.

Reminds me of my m8 who sent me a mix he was quite pleased with, even tho he has been djing for a month, seemed like he had found the sync button. (No offense to people who uses sync here, since you guys are quite talented and have been in the business for longer than me, just being conservative, sorry)

And no, havent felt like you OP
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    So gotta ask

This. People accept that they need to go through years of expensive schooling just to be competitive enough to get an entry-level job in certain fields. Then, you have to work for YEARS before you end up with any real responsibility, respect, financial reward, etc. Why is it difficult for people to understand that the music industry is no different? If anything, it's HARDER to break into because literally everyone wants to be a DJ or a rockstar or whatever.

In all seriousness, what makes you so unique that you feel you deserve to be paid for your DJ performances over all the other aspiring artists in your area (after such a relatively small investment of your time)? I'm not trying to be a dick, I sincerely want to know what strengths/skills you feel you possess that set you apart from other people in your same situation.

Tech Convert

Default never

iv never felt like this iv been djing 9 years and done about 6 -10 gigs that have not been put on by me and iv never 1nce thought its wrong i haven't made enough money altho i do go to a club and think this clown cant mix to save his life but he probably got the gig cos he knows people. do it for joy not money and if you do make some cash take it as a bonus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast