I'm getting this dandruff.....and head n shoulders doesn't play nice with vinyl....
    Tech Wizard

Question I'm getting this dandruff.....and head n shoulders doesn't play nice with vinyl....

What's going on DJTT community ?

Started DJing about a year ago on an S4, and about a month ago I made the jump and got a Technic 1200 MK-II. I love the feel and I am slowly learning how to scratch, but my needle keeps creating this dandruff like substance (i'm assuming it's wax).

I'm using a M44-7 Shure needle and cartridge with a stanton headshell, with +2G little weight attached on top. Someone sold me the MK-II with this whole setup, so this may be part of the problem - not to sure. I've looked at many YouTube videos and searched on here but I can't seem to get my tone arm balanced correctly.

Right now I'm having the best results when the counterweight is ALL the way pushed to the back, like off the threads so I literally have to push it a millimeter up or down. I know this can't be correct.

Please help!!
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

Tech Guru

How are you balancing the tone arm? Are you bouncing it for zero gravity?

I'd start by removing the +2G weight. That's probably applying too much pressure seeing as your counterweight is pushed all the way to the back. Moreover... is your counterweight pointed in the right direction?

Loose the +2g weight immediately. Shure carts are already very heavy, and ADDING weight to the cartridge will not do you any favours...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Loose the +2g weight immediately. Shure carts are already very heavy, and ADDING weight to the cartridge will not do you any favours...
    Do this first, then clean the needle and make sure you've got a good clean surface on the vinyl. There are some vinyl cleaners and even lubricants on the market.. but as long as you've got all the residual "dandruff" off the vinyl before you start to play again you should be good to go.

That's not wax, it's dead skin. Also set up your M44's properly, lose the +2 gram weight and properly balance them. A weight of 3 - 3.5 grams is ideal with the tonearm properly parallel with the record.

http://djworx.com/handruff-the-dirty-truth-of-djing/

Why do you have wax on your records???

Give your records a good clean, keep the dust covers on your decks when you aren't using them, and don't use your shirt to clean a record when you put it on your deck.
    Scratching is even worse for the records because your oily hands are all over them. Try scratching from the edge, or closer to the center, but there's not a lot to do. My yellow superseal record has a darkish spot on it from where my fingers touch it. Fortunately its in a "dead" spot on the record.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Thanks everyone! I took off the 3G weight and have since rebalanced them, haven't had the "hand-druff" since!
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's