Do international DJ's have their travel fee's paid for them?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do international DJ's have their travel fee's paid for them?

I've always wondered if the top dj's around the world have their travel fee's paid for them? I just wonder as im in Australia and surely they wouldn't fork out 3k return flight from Europe just to play a couple of gigs would they?

If the answer is yes, I now understand why in Australia we pay $200 for festival tickets hahaha

Yes, you will have your flight/room paid for. (If you're hired that is.)

Tech Mentor

A lot of these big DJ's will do a "tour" when they travel that far though. So they will do a few nights while they are out there.

Of course, if a club wants a specific DJ for a specific night, and they have no plans for other local events, then they will have to pay the full expenses.

As an idea of costs involved, it was well publicised here, by local promoters who fucked up paying the DJ (who ended up not playing the event because they were a little short on the night, and getting the full money the next day), but he wasn't what I would class a true A-list DJ, but the bill was over £8k. And that was for internal flights too, not even an international flight.

Dave Seamen recently did his Kickstarter project too, and for a donation of only £3k he would come play your party (so long as you weren't charging for entrance). I think that was a knockdown price for the promotion of the cd though. I would guess his normal charge would be a lot more than this for a commercial event.

It's an expensive game getting these big DJ's to play a gig.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Yes, the promoter covers costs for the flight, hotel, driver, wifi, meals and whatever else we require - it's all agreed upon the booking and outlined in detail in a contract.

As mentioned above sometimes we'll play more than one show - in times like this promoters will do a flight share to make the cost of getting us over much cheaper - you will go to a country and do anything from 2 to 6 shows over a period of a couple of weeks. Obviously 6 shows means the cost to get us over is split 6 ways.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

yeap flight/room paid for, and you send in your RIDER 2 weeks before the event so they have all your stuff ready then when you show up and they forgot to separate the M&M's by color you refuse to play :P haha anyways... like xs2man says they do multiple shows to make the money back and they split the cost between all the events. So lets say your expense is 10k for you and your manager for flight/room for 3 weeks. 3 shows a week so 9 shows minimum of 2k per show and your good. If your an international Dj i'm sure you'll have other sponsors shooting you money to pimp their gear.... thats the jist of it. I know guys that live in L.A. that fly to SF to do shows and there rate is $300/show that covers round trip flight hotel and food lol not very profitable especially for established dj's...

Tech Mentor

You don't have to be a top DJ to have your travel and lodging paid for.
    When I play out of town I have the promoter pay my travel/room and when I book any out of town DJ I do the same for them.
    It's common practice.

Tech Guru

I beleive Roger Sanchez Rider was posted on the forum a while back.

Escalade or 7 series BMW or equivalent with driver at the airport please.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

My favorite thing to do to agents is to cross off the entire hospitality rider and send it back with "Event/festival hospitality provided" on it.

I have yet to have anyone complain about this and I've booked DJs from every big agency.

No way I'm paying for 4 quarts of hummus for a DJ (yes this is on a real DJs rider) lol

^ lol serious? i'd be happy if the promoter just picked me up on time from the airport... which they never do. haha i'm gonna have to start getting more detailed in my riders

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    I beleive Roger Sanchez Rider was posted on the forum a while back.

Escalade or 7 series BMW or equivalent with driver at the airport please.
    This is standard for international DJs, mainly based on rising up the ranks and getting picked up by some crazy kid in his saxo, tunes blaring and friends packed in the back....maaaaaaaate.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast