Pretty Lights "A Color Map of the Sun" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Man, thanks for sharing that sweet video. I've been listening to the album and thinking, "How the fuck does he get that sound"? I use my little Reason software and Maschine to make some beats, but seeing the lengths he went to to capture that vibe makes me feel a little better about my limited skills/tools! That was an ambitious way to make an album, and it really paid off.
    Aswell don't get it twisted Vince (pretty Lights) gets down on turntables and can scratch like a beast.

Last edited by P4ULSON; 07-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Loving this album/sound (hadn't listened to Pretty Lights before) so I just pulled the trigger and ordered the vinyl off Amazon. I downloaded all of his other stuff for free yesterday, so I didn't feel too awful about throwing some cash his way. I'm still not sure why the cost is so high, however.
    Wait till you get it, you'll see. I downloaded the record and a bunch of other stuff off that site thanks to this thread (had never heard of pretty lights before) and loved it all. Still wasn't sold on dropping that much on the vinyl until I saw it at Amoeba yesterday. It's a full on coffee-table book that happens to have vinyl records in it. Beautiful package.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Got it today, and I couldn't agree more. Sweet package, and totally worth it. Love this album and sound in general. Can't believe I hadn't listened to this guy before. Have any other suggestions for artists with a similar sound/approach?

its a pretty great album, and im really diggin all the bonus "breaks" tracks

Tech Mentor

Got it today, and I couldn't agree more. Sweet package, and totally worth it. Love this album and sound in general. Can't believe I hadn't listened to this guy before. Have any other suggestions for artists with a similar sound/approach?
    Other than people on his label

Gramatik
    https://soundcloud.com/gramatik

Griz
    https://soundcloud.com/griz

Like some kind of Dj Voltron they combine to form Grizmatic. I don't think they're as good as PL but it's a similar sound.

I didn't look close enough to see what all was included with the vinyl. That package looks awesome. Def. will be ordering this today.

Have a listen to other artists under PL record label. They all have that PL sound that makes his label stand out but all do it in there on tasteful way. Gramatik, Paul Basic, SuperVision, and then Break Science is a different kind of approach with Adam Deitch (use to drum for PL, drums for Lettuce, Break Science, John Scofield etc.) on drums and Borahm Lee on the decks but we'll worth checking out if you haven't already.
    :: Maschine MK2 :: MF SPECTRA :: Novation Launchpad :: Moog Little Phatty Stage II :: MBP 13.3" i7 2.9GHz Turbo 3.6GHz 8GB ::

Tech Mentor

I know some of you guys are local so I thought I'd post this in case you want to get your vinyl signed and see him do a live set for free at Amoeba.

http://www.amoeba.com/live-shows/upcoming/detail-2663

I'd be there if I could. Last free thing I went to at Amoeba was to see Numark. I got there late and was disappointed so I started digging to cheer me up when I noticed the guy to my left was Akil and the guy on my right was Cut Chemist of J5 fame. I don't get star struck often but I kinda felt like a 7 year old girl standing next to Justin Beiber, heh. So go, you never know who'll will show up.

Interesting neve been to Amoeba when an artist is there.

Tech Convert

not a big fan of the new album as a whole. I think the making of the album ended up being more interesting than the album itself... seems to be a theme as of late *cough*daft punk*cough*

I can't believe I missed this. Saw it posted on facebook after it was over; there was a photo of a long ass line, heh. Would have loved to check it out!
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast