Hope for DJs (and deaf people) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle
    Eh
    Excuse me
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Excuse me
    While I kiss the sky...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I don't wear earplugs and never will, purely because they make me feel nauseous. Instead, I just take basic precautions like not having stuff too bloody loud.

I've been DJing for over a decade now, and I can't get over the number of DJs who have their headphones WAY too loud. Doing my other job (club photography), I'm often asked to cover for fellow DJs while they go for a piss or a smoke, and the second I put their headphones up I have to kill the monitor volume, sometimes by as much as 1/2.

Personally I blame monitor speakers; having a 12" Behringer a foot away from your face at full volume isn't exactly a recipe for good health.
    Seriously. I've been in booths that the monitor is so loud, I can't even mix because I can't distinguish the sound. It's just screaming highs in my face.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

having a 12" Behringer a foot away from your face at full volume isn't exactly a recipe for good health.
    Only Behringers try 2x10' Turbosounds @ full whack 5 nights a week for 5 or 6 years Piercing is not even the word I'd use.

I'm Honestly Surprised my hearing isn't completely bolloxed and yet somehow I can still hear over 20k. These days I do however use plugs (or tissue paper in a pinch) if its loud enough that I feel that I'll end up with any kind of ringing in the morning.

Quite apart from Noise Levels (not the song-but thats noise too) I'm sure genetics plays a big part into how badly we get affected by continuous SPL.

Sounds to a layman that the treatment it works the same way as the new (currently being trialled) hair restoration drug Histogen*

For those with issues I hope its not 10 years away from being trialled and released. However theres seems to be alot of unknowns about any treatment that causes cellular growth (primarily revolving around tumors which isn't good).

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    as I get older its getting more difficult to focus on one person talking in an open plan office. Or in a crowd. Thats what bothers me lately. I can't drown out the background noise and stay focused on what I want to listen to.
    Maybe you are just developing some kind of ESP
    Last edited by deevey; 07-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin
    as I get older its getting more difficult to focus on one person talking in an open plan office. Or in a crowd. Thats what bothers me lately. I can't drown out the background noise and stay focused on what I want to listen to.
    I suffer from this too. And trying to read when there is ANY kind of background noise is almost impossible!!!

I think I blame DJ'ing. All that training I did to be able to (sub-consciously?) hear 2 different sound sources is fucking with my day-to-day life!!!
    Last edited by Patch; 07-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

In crowds I tend to nod a lot and try to make the appropriate facial expression at the right time. This system is far from flawless and can make you look like a brainless numpty as well as slightly rude
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Convert

I'm pretty young, so I'm hoping that I can start the habits now that will protect my hearing for many years to come.

I was looking around for some decibel reducing earplugs (not just foam ones that you stuff into your ear), and eventually settled on these.

I cannot recommend them enough. They're only $10 so super affordable until you decide to dish out $200 to get the custom molded-to-your-ear kind. Fit great and work great too. It's a really weird experience at first, everything just sounds a little dimmer but slowly you get used to it and can't tell a difference.

Definitely a must for loud concerts and places where you can't get away from the sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12