How did you choose your producer/DJ name ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How did you choose your producer/DJ name ?

Good evening guys ! I'm a bit stuck with choosing my "artist" name...
    I would like to know what helped you to choose your own name ?
    I only know that I'd like to build a invented first and last name (for example : Calvin Harris, Nicky Romero, Richie Hawtin,...) My real first name is Charles so if you have some "invented" last names that fit and sound great with it let me know !
    Thanks !
    (I'm from belgium,so, sorry for the spelling and grammar) =)

Don't ask for name ideas, you're going to get a bunch of sarcastic and silly names.

I will answer your subject question though. I used to write graffiti in my younger, stupider days, and among many names, I used to write drip. When I started DJing, I was spinning mostly tech step and dubstep, so dripstep kinda had a nice ring to it. Plus I like the way it looks written out, lower case "d".
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Well, what kind of music are you into ?
    Anything to do with jazz or funk and I'd suggest Charles Ray.
    Let us know, your music is a massive influence.
    I mean you wouldn't find a HipHop DJ called FuzzWobbles, but I can see it being used for a trance or electro house DJ.

Malyatrax out.

Richie Hawtin is not an invented name, it's his actual name. Or am I completely crazy?

To your topic. I got back into mixing and to put stuff out (mixes, social media, etc) I needed to come up with the name. I didn't want to overthink it, but at the same time still cared enough to like what I chose, not later be OK with it. Was listening to an album at the time and on my way to work one of the lyrics jumped out at me even though I heard it tens of times by that point. So monogammee it is I thought.

From where in Belgium ? What music do you like ?

EDIT: oh just saw it said Brussels

A promoter gave me a "DJ name" when advertising for an event I was headlining, and he's used it ever since haha. I basically had no input into the matter, which is kinda annoying since I'm not even sure I can legally use it since it's also the name of a big (albeit not music-related) company lmao.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    A promoter gave me a "DJ name" when advertising for an event I was headlining, and he's used it ever since haha. I basically had no input into the matter, which is kinda annoying since I'm not even sure I can legally use it since it's also the name of a big (albeit not music-related) company lmao.
    it's not "dj reloop" isn't it?
    j/k :P

to OP, you'll have to come up with something of your own, as dripstep said, you're only going to get silly and unsuitable names.
    YOU have to find what suits you the best. Because in the end you are the one that's going to live with the name, and not some dude on some forum
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    it's not "dj reloop" isn't it?
    j/k :P
    Ahaha no
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

I see a lot of guys basing their names off of childhood, or current nicknames, as these usually hold some personal meaning. My first and last names rhyme, so that's my dj name because that's what everyone calls me anyway.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

My last name is Padilla, friends used to call me Padi/Pado back in school (run by irishmen). Didn't take too long before I ended up as Paddy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast