Presonus Firebox vs Native Instruments Audio 8
    Tech Wizard

Default Presonus Firebox vs Native Instruments Audio 8

I read Ean's review of the Native Instruments Audio 8 sound card and it sounds pretty terrific. However, I've also read lots of great things about the Presonus Firebox which is almost half the price of the Audio 8. So... which one should I get...and why?

Two things... I'm not super technical and not djing huge clubs—therefore, simplicity would be very much appreciated in comments and explanations.

Thank you.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the audio quality will be the same. At certain points the only real differences come down to your laptop.

The biggest things are the inputs/outputs. The Audio8 has 6 ins and 4 outs with MIDI in/out, only 1 mic in with quarter inch in but no pre-amp for condenser mics. It's also built for Traktor Scratch. So if you're not going to use Traktor Scratch it's kinda overkill.

The Firebox has 2 pre-amps on the XLR's, only 3 outs and 1 other stereo pair in. Also it runs off of firewire and the Audio8DJ runs off of USB2.0

If you're just going out with your laptop and spinning than you don't really need the Audio8. Keep in mind that if you have a 4 pin firewire port (ie... not a mac) you need external power for the presonus, whereas the Audio8 will still be powered by USB 2.0.

The Audio8 has more bells and whistles, but it is a clear and clean interface. I'm sure the presonus will sound just as good. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Dear DvlsAdvct!

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm using Traktor 3 and don't have plans to upgrade to scratch at the moment. I also just purchased the xSession pro with a view to upgrade to the VCI 100 or VCI 300.
    In addition, the plan is to add video to my performances and I'm currently checking out Resolume, Modul8 and Arkaos Grand VJ.

My computer is a MacBook pro.

Oh, and I'm learning Ableton as well - yes, it has been a busy summer!

Anyhow, it sounds as though Presonus Firebox would suffice at the moment unless there's something else in that range that you recommend.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I am not very knowledgeable about sound cards. I don't have the money or time to really try this stuff out, y'know?

Really, even with all that stuff, you don't need more than a few MIDI controllers. You're not running multiple audio outs. I think the Presonus or anything in its class would work for you.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

The presonus is a great unit with a very low latency, sounds awesome too, sweet sounding and VERY loud headphone preamp inside.

Given all of these wonderful midi turntable devices hitting the market this year i would just save the $ and go with the Presonus