Ever have this awkward DJ situation?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Ever have this awkward DJ situation?

Have u met someone or know someone who is a DJ that is starting out ask you for your ENTIRE music library (for free)?

I have been in this situation before and it is extremely uncomfortable. Being a DJ, I feel your music library is your backbone and ultimately defines you. I have no problem showing people artists, tracks, or labels, but outright handing someone my years of collecting and digging seems in-genuine and counter-productive to what makes a DJ a DJ. Not to mention, I pay for majority of my tracks.

I do not know how to handle the situation and usually am very deflective/non-responsive, at which point i am then met with signs of implying my reaction is uncalled for or douchey.

On the flip side, have you ever asked anyone for their library? I would never think to ask someone so maybe I am projecting my own views on others. Still, to me, it doesn't seem or feel right both ethically.

Are they being uncalled for? Or am I?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocato View Post
    Have u met someone or know someone who is a DJ that is starting out ask you for your ENTIRE music library (for free)?

I have been in this situation before and it is extremely uncomfortable. Being a DJ, I feel your music library is your backbone and ultimately defines you. I have no problem showing people artists, tracks, or labels, but outright handing someone my years of collecting and digging seems in-genuine and counter-productive to what makes a DJ a DJ. Not to mention, I pay for majority of my tracks.

I do not know how to handle the situation and usually am very deflective/non-responsive, at which point i am then met with signs of implying my reaction is uncalled for or douchey.

On the flip side, have you ever asked anyone for their library? I would never think to ask someone so maybe I am projecting my own views on others. Still, to me, it doesn't seem or feel right both ethically.

Are they being uncalled for? Or am I?
    I remember I did that before when I was like 10 years old with VDJ, I can understand it being annoying.

Tell 'em to get stuffed!!
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Schalenberg

It's happened to me before with a close friend of mine. He said, "just bring your external hard drive next session so I can transfer your stuff." It's a horrible feeling and you don't want to look like a dick. I just ignored it. Didn't have the heart to say no. He never brought it up again.

I don't see a problem with sharing stuff with a close friend. Random Dj at a club? No.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

'No'

Tech Mentor

I will share music with DJs I work closely with but that it is and they do the same for me. It helps both of us discover new or other music we can use on our gigs. I would never do that for a friend or stranger.

Tech Mentor

I know this has been posted once or twice before but it seemed apt

NSFW - language

Tech Guru

Ask if they would just like you to give them $1 per track instead...and they can buy their own copy.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    I know this has been posted once or twice before but it seemed apt

NSFW - language

DJs get free drinks, VIP treatment and ladies? Where the hell does THIS happen?

EDIT: "I want the bitches."
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast