Who Lives In Or Near L.A., Miami, Or New York?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Who Lives In Or Near L.A., Miami, Or New York?

I'm 16 so I have plenty of time to think but I'm pretty sure if i want to have a career as a DJ/Producer I am gonna have to get out of old Enterprise AL. So if you live in or near any of the cities named or have gigs in them tell me about them. Tell me how they are, how expensive it is to live there, or a list of good and bad neighborhoods. Thanks for your responses in advance.

Emachines E528 4GB of Ram Traktor Pro 2 | MF Classic | Numark Stereo IO | Numark Mixtrack |

Mixcloud

Tech Guru

It's expensive to live in any big city.

Gonna give it to you straight... college is going to be the better option for 99% of aspiring DJs.

Unless your parents are going to pay for you to live in a big city, you probably wouldn't last a month or two. Rent is just insane, and the bigger the city, the harder it is going to be to get a residency.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

Gonna give it to you straight... college is going to be the better option for 99% of aspiring DJs.

Unless your parents are going to pay for you to live in a big city, you probably wouldn't last a month or two. Rent is just insane, and the bigger the city, the harder it is going to be to get a residency.
    /thread

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

That is what I was thinking but when you say college do you mean just any college or a college like Sae institute which is a college that focuses on electronic music production.
    Last edited by Bcaylor22; 07-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    Emachines E528 4GB of Ram Traktor Pro 2 | MF Classic | Numark Stereo IO | Numark Mixtrack |

Mixcloud

Tech Guru

A college where your end goal career is not music related. And please don't do some bullshit degree like English or Philosophy. You have no right to complain about no jobs if you choose something like that as your major.

The music industry is TOUGH to get into. Unless you're the next Martin Garrix or Avicii, it's usually not worth the risk to put so much effort into DJing and music production. You can always do it on the side like 3LAU. If you do happen to hit it big while you're in college, you can drop out and choose to go full time musician.

I honestly think a school for music production is a waste of money. It's just practice and time. All the resources you need are online.

find a job that affords you the oppurtunity to indulge your loves...

if music is one of them...you need equipment and that shit costs money...on top of that you need knowledge...knowledge is free if you know where to look and know how to listen...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I live in Vegas cause its dirt cheap and only a short flight to San Fran, LA, San Diego, Phoenix, and Denver. That said, my job and family will always come before my hobby. While DJ'ing has made me money, it's not something I would ever consider keeping as a primary source of income. As with all artforms, when you are big, you are only big for a short moment.

Much luck mate. Do your life exactly how you want it, but always put having a roof over your head first.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Average rent in Manhattan now is $3000 a month. Brooklyn is not far behind. Average in SF is 2000, in the popular areas its 2400. Living in a big city is not cheap man. Especially to just DJ. Even the very well known DJ's I know in SF are working for big corporate jobs, they play every weekend. Thats how I managed my whole life. Better off going to school and producing for fun, and djing for fun. If you get good and can take off with it then you will be one of the lucky ones.

listen to the people here, they speak from experience.

I have a bachelors degree in networking and it supports my financial needs and i dj on the side because its something i enjoy and would like to keep it that way.
    MBP 13"| TSP 2.6 | MPD 26 | MF Spectra | 2x Stanton ST150 | NI Kontrol z2

Tech Wizard

I live in NYC, albeit i most definitely do not pay 3000 a month, everything is so damn expensive, but Ive lived here all my life so that makes it less of a shell shock. Go to college, get a job where you make enough to survive, and DJ for fun. If your DJ career takes off you can always pursue that and have the option of your DEGREE to fall back on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast