First club gig and setup, what advice may you guys help a novice with?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First club gig and setup, what advice may you guys help a novice with?

Hi guys...

My friend and I have our first club gig in a month, pretty nervous to be honest. We have played in the club twice now just to test out the equipment and sound system. The sound is fantastic! On the contrary the setup, CDJ 1000s and a Xone 62 with one shitty filter is pretty limiting for both of us. We play individually and together sometimes. We learnt djing on a controller (mixtrack pro) so our style of player is more performative and interractive with the songs. Using the CDJs was not a problem as we upgraded to a mixdeck.

The setup in the club was very limiting as we could not utilise some of the features in traktor. Well keyboards short cuts only work for so long before its seems like you are blogging in the booth therefore this was/is not a viable option for us. We enjoy creating and recreating songs on the go switching things up for the patrons dancing or sitting. Most of the time I play with a laptop but I can also go retro with just usb or CD, is it good to occasionally switch between the two styles and strip down to basics sometimes even though I believe that going digital enhances the performance and delivery?

To bridge the gap we got an x1 which is pretty awesome! We have been playing at house parties in the last year but i fear the club scene is quite different from the house party scene. The residents djs of the club are cool guys pretty decent at what they do as they have a following i would say but their sets are pretty much standard in my opinion so is it advisable to switch things up and just perform like we do any other day opposed to this drag and drop business.

Our new set up will be Traktor A6, 2 x CDJ 1000 MKIII, Xone 62, Traktor Pro and a Laptop and sometime the Twitch Itch.

And if there is any other advice just fire away, after all it will be food for thought.

Regards
    Tonderayi
    Last edited by tonderayi; 07-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.

You've played house parties, and seem to have a pretty good and solid idea of what you are doing/need to do, my only advice for you is to rock that club hard!
    Best of luck to you both.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

haha cdj 1000s and a xone 62 are a friggin legendary combo, and by no means shitty. You can achieve insane results with that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by tonderayi View Post
    Most of the time I play with a laptop but I can also go retro with just usb or CD
    Geez that line made me feel old.

That's a freaking ace mixer too. I don't think I've ever heard any one call and Allen and Heath Filter shitty either

Sounds like you've got it covered though. House parties are good warmups and playing with a friend always makes it a bit easier.

I want a shitty setup like that

Cheers thank you i hope so will update on the progress

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    haha cdj 1000s and a xone 62 are a friggin legendary combo, and by no means shitty. You can achieve insane results with that setup.

The setup is not shitty lol its just that it does not suit my style of play is what i meant.

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Geez that line made me feel old.

That's a freaking ace mixer too. I don't think I've ever heard any one call and Allen and Heath Filter shitty either

Sounds like you've got it covered though. House parties are good warmups and playing with a friend always makes it a bit easier.
    Its quite cool and clean going retro, took me time to figure out as i was used to seeing the waveform so be proud your have a skill

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    I want a shitty setup like that
    The club setup or our setup? lol

Tech Mentor

best of luck bro, try not to think about tings too much and focus on the music! IF you think the residents there are standard and you can do a better job then smash it bro, maybe you'll get a residency out of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast