Vestax VCI 100 MK2 and Traktor

Default Vestax VCI 100 MK2 and Traktor

Hi there,

I have a query about the above named controller.

I have recently bought it and have just downloaded Traktor pro 2. Thing is, I have connected my Vestax to my (brothers) Mac book pro but the "data send" light on the controller is not working. The controller is on and going through USB but the controller is not working in conjunction with Traktor.

Now, I've gone to the set up wizard on Traktor pro but for some reason, I simply (and I'm sure it's something very simple that I am not doing) cannot get my controller linked. I have tried various ways to set up but it's just not happening.

I have only started getting back into dj'ing (Technics 1210 fan) after 8 year respite. Technology is presenting a slight challenge, to say the least.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Ben

Tech Mentor

connect your vci to your macbook. turn vci on.
    do any leds light up? do you use a power adapter?

did you import a tsi-file for your vci into traktor? (look into traktorīs preferences > controller manager) make sure the input/output is set to the vci.

try this:
    -right click and load this tsi to your desktop: http://chicken.giana-brotherz.com/ch...k2-chicken.tsi
    -open traktorīs preferences > controller manager > delete all mappings
    -now click on import on the bottom left of the preferences panel > import downloaded tsi mapping
    -check input/output in controller manager and turn traktor off and on again
    now please check if traktor is receiving any midi data?!

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    make sure the input/output is set to the vci.
    This.

Default Vestax VCI MK2 Controller and Traktor 2 Pro

[QUOTE=c0nsul;635798]connect your vci to your macbook. turn vci on.
    do any leds light up? do you use a power adapter?

The Power light is on and I am using USB, "not" Power adaptor.

I go to "Set-up wizard", click on Yes for external controller. Click on "Vestax" and "VCI-100 MK2 PRO". Click "No" for external mixer. Click "2 decks + 2 remix decks" and close.

In "Audio set up", it says "Please check your audio routing". It says in Audio device - VCI-100MK2 DJ-Controller (not connected). I click on arrow, it offers "Built-in (Core Audio) or "BoomDevice (Core Audio). I choose "Built in".

Output routing - Internal - I go to Output Master, Output L for L and Output R for R

Internal routing - Input Deck A - L Mono - 1. Microphone L. 2. R - Microphone R
    Input Deck B - L (Mono) 1. Microphone L. R. Microphone R

I am using it on my brothers Mac book pro, my Macbook wouldn't download Traktor2 pro (capabilities). Now, I have just switched my controller over to my Macbook, and the controller works fine with Traktor Le, except that it doesn't mix in synch. Power light on and Data send light flashing when I adjust knobs, crossfader etc.

did you import a tsi-file for your vci into traktor? (look into traktorīs preferences > controller manager) make sure the input/output is set to the vci.

Go to Controller manager, it says for "Device" - Traktor 2 default mapping - generic keyboard". I click on arrow and "VCI-100MK2 Pro - Generic MIDI (All Ports)"

Is this what I need to have the device set up on? I click on the "VCI-100MK2". I know this might come cross as frustrating for you guys but I'm very frustrated trying to work this out.

When I delete mappings, is that where the highlight table is (underneath "Device set up") and I delete the "High adjust, mid adjust" etc?

Tech Mentor

so it seems your controller is not broken! the sync problem on traktor LE might come from firmware changes. The LE version doesnīt allow you to change midi mapping. so you have to get traktor pro 1.2.7 for your old macbook.
    Or you use your brotherīs mb with TP 2.6.1!

Letīs concentrate on your brotherīs mb and TP 2.
    Iīm wondering why the audio device of your controller isnīt found...
    So we set it up step by step:

Turn the macbook on and plug in the vci.
    -First press "⌘ + Shift + U" and open the Audio-MIDI-Setup.app.
    is the vciīs sound device listed in the audio device list?

Now open Traktor 2 and skip the setup wizard and open preferences.
    - Audio Setup: you should find your vci in the audio device list and select it.

- Output Routing: check mixing mode: internal / Output 1&2 are common for master output and output 3&4 are monitor output.

- Controller Manager: on the top it says Device Setup.
    here we will delete every device thatīs loaded to start from the beginning.
    select a device and click on the EDIT button under it and hit DELETE. repeat this action until every device is deleted.

- on the bottom left of the preferenceīs window is the IMPORT button. click it and navigate to Default Settings > Controller > Vestax > VCI-100MK2 PRO.tsi. Import this tsi-file with controller mappings and effect settings! (A tsi-file contains the midi mapping for your controller)

- now the VCI should be in the device list of the controller manager. To the right it says "In-Port & Out-Port". Make sure both ports are set to your vci!

-close preferences, turn traktor off and on again. Now your controller should work!

Underneath the device setup is the assignment table, there you can change/delete/add/ customize single commands in the VCIīs tsi-file ("High adjust, mid adjust" etc) ! This becomes relevant when your controller is working and you want to change the behaviour of single buttons in traktor.

Hey mate,

thanks for your detailed reply. I went through the following steps, as instructed.

Turn the macbook on and plug in the vci.
    -First press "⌘ + Shift + U" and open the Audio-MIDI-Setup.app.
    is the vciīs sound device listed in the audio device list?

I have switched on my MB and switched on my Vestax. I've opened up the "audio device list" and on the left hand side, it shows "Built in mic, Built in Input, Built in Output and Boom device". It does not show my "VCI" in the list.

Now open Traktor 2 and skip the setup wizard and open preferences.
    - Audio Setup: you should find your vci in the audio device list and select it.

I am aware that the following stages that I am trying to correct aren't going to coincide with what you have written, to begin with (the VCI showing in my sound device list), but wanted to give an idea of what I am looking at. So, when I go to Traktor, in "Audio Setup", I go to "Audio device" and the only 2 options I have are "Built-in (Core Audio)" and "BoomDevice (CoreAudio)"

- Output Routing: check mixing mode: internal / Output 1&2 are common for master output and output 3&4 are monitor output.

- Controller Manager: on the top it says Device Setup.

When I go to "Controller Manager", In the "Device set up" department, on "Device" it says "Traktor 2 default mapping - Generic Keyboard (Keyboard)". When I click on the arrow next to this, the other option it gives me is "VCI-100MK2 - Generic MIDI (All Ports)"

here we will delete every device thatīs loaded to start from the beginning.
    select a device and click on the EDIT button under it and hit DELETE. repeat this action until every device is deleted.

I've done this

- on the bottom left of the preferenceīs window is the IMPORT button. click it and navigate to Default Settings > Controller > Vestax > VCI-100MK2 PRO.tsi. Import this tsi-file with controller mappings and effect settings! (A tsi-file contains the midi mapping for your controller)

I've done this

- now the VCI should be in the device list of the controller manager. To the right it says "In-Port & Out-Port". Make sure both ports are set to your vci!

Now, "Traktor 2 default mapping" appears and when I click on arrow, it shows "VCI - 100MK2 Pro - Generic MIDI" again. I click on "VCI" and go to "In-Port" and click on "All Ports" and it shows "None, AllPorts and Traktor Virtual Input" It does not display " VCI".

-close preferences, turn traktor off and on again. Now your controller should work!

I close Traktor and switch it back on again. No change. The power light is on but no data is being sent from any of the buttons I press/move

Tech Mentor

thatīs really strange. at the moment i have no clue what the problem might be..
    Anyone else having an idea??

please try a different usb-cable and try using the other usb-port (just to exclude the simple sources of errors and to check if itīs a computer or a controller problem)

do you have the possibility to connect your controller to an other macbook running Traktor 2?? Would be interesting if the controller works on a different computer running the same software version.

May sound obvious but has the macbook got all the latest driver updates?

Question Vestax VCI-100 MKII usb power problems

i also have the same problem with this particular Device, i have tried numerous USB cables with it and that is while going throught all the headache of removing and reinstalling the Asio drivers before trying again and have also tried the same method while using the external power cable as opposed to running it from a USB connection but they just dont seem to want to work again, im distraught to say the least they are less than 12months old! i suppose i can take comfort with one small positive discovery which is although they fail to be recognised as a midi device an any of my 3 laptops i have at home it does seem to function when connected to my friends 2 month old lenovo i7 system. i believe ive come to the conclusion that the USB ports in 2 of my laptops have some how become ever so slightly loose (although this is unnoticable when plugging any other external peripheral into them, and to be clear these include USB and mains powered HDD/optical drives, docking stations and My numark NS6 controller) i was looking forward now to parting with the Vestax now as i have of course recently upgraded to an NS6 controller but if they really do have an underlying I/0 power fault with the usb interface id like to know in advance before selling them on at substantially less than what they originally cost me just because i simply dont know wether they have a fault or not, and of course as they really have served me well and brought nothing but joy to me the past year apart from this small discrepancy Vestax really knew what they were doing when they made these things, putting other controllers such as the pionerr Ergo and hercules models of similar value to shame with there build quality. i hope someone can answer this mystery more accurately than i can as i would like piece of mind that im not passing onto the next owner a device that doesnt even work.

Cameron