Allen & Heath DX
    Tech Convert

Default Allen & Heath DX

So I am thinking about picking one of these up because I can get a insanely good price on it. I currently am using Traktor with vinyl control but am having to switch to Serato because a couple of venues I play at want videos and having vinyl control is a must for me! I've tried to do some research but havent been able to find a straight answer so I thought I'd come here. My main question is, can the controller run Serato timecode vinyl control? Also just wanted to hear some feed back about the controller and itch. Thanks!

No, not on it's own. Anything plugged into the soundcard must go through software before it hits the main. So yeah, you could run SSL through it, with a Rane SL- soundcard through the DX soundcard passing through Itch/Traktor/Live.

My hardware sucked. The main outputs failed, and has happened to many a unit. Quality control on these were awful. Loose screws rolling around them and failing soundcards are the most common issues people have.

Itch is alright, I'm using it now and patiently waiting for the SDJ upgrade (which has it's own issues still) for the Twitch The whole concept of 1:1 mapping is awesome, and executed well, the issue is more with the software. Traktor is a much better put together piece of software than Itch. If you wanted to go the Traktor route, there are some great mappings available for it. Absolutely, positively no upgrade to Serato DJ ever. EVER. So keep that in mind.

I'd say unless you were getting one in the 250-300 dollar range, save your money for something else.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    No, not on it's own. Anything plugged into the soundcard must go through software before it hits the main. So yeah, you could run SSL through it, with a Rane SL- soundcard through the DX soundcard passing through Itch/Traktor/Live.

My hardware sucked. The main outputs failed, and has happened to many a unit. Quality control on these were awful. Loose screws rolling around them and failing soundcards are the most common issues people have.

Itch is alright, I'm using it now and patiently waiting for the SDJ upgrade (which has it's own issues still) for the Twitch The whole concept of 1:1 mapping is awesome, and executed well, the issue is more with the software. Traktor is a much better put together piece of software than Itch. If you wanted to go the Traktor route, there are some great mappings available for it. Absolutely, positively no upgrade to Serato DJ ever. EVER. So keep that in mind.

I'd say unless you were getting one in the 250-300 dollar range, save your money for something else.
    That's the price range I am looking at but seeing all the downsides I'll probably save my money and wait for something more robust and able to use vinyl controls. I just really want my first Allen & Heath mixer and/or controller! lol I am currently using Traktor and love it. Just wish they'd make Traktor video mixing a reality. Thanks for the great insight!

Tech Guru

I have a dx and I would have to say dont get it for the simple reason that you will not get any upgrade or support buying it. I thought that with mixvibes cross it might be helpful alternative for itch but as of right now it is not the case. With traktor it works real good (my software of choice with it) but like you mentioned traktor doesnt do video.

Tech Guru

There is no "Serato" controller that supports timecode. Serato currently has two softwares Serato DJ for controllers and Serato Scratch Live for timecode that only works with a Rane soundcard or mixer. If you want video and turntables. You need to get Scratch Live.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Just buy an SL box. The SL1 is very inexpensive, and then you can pick up the Video SL plug-in to do what you need. Or just a get a buddy who is interested in VJ'ing, and start doing a duo kind of thing on two separate computers.

If you are looking for a controller just for using Serato, and you are used to CDJ's or TT's, it not worth it. I bought a Twitch (which is a great little controller btw). But I also have 1200's w/ an SL1 box. I find myself 95% of the time just practicing or playing out on TT's or CDJ's, and the twitch just turned into a controller for fucking around with in hotel rooms after big parties... which doesn't really justify it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter