Need help purchasing gear!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help purchasing gear!

Hey Guys

I'm relatively new to mixing and being a DJ.
    Currently I'm running a NI S4, however there are two pieces of equipment I need help deciding on.

Monitors-
    Im looking to buy a set of studio monitors, money is limited so what would a decent monitor for a lower price be?

Controller-
    Looking to buy something like a NI f1, midi fighter, or novation Launchpad to help me mash up songs, any input on this?

Thanks a ton
    -Brendan

Tech Guru

Head to your local GC and find a pair of monitors that fit your ears best. Sound is very subjective.

I really like Yamaha HS series while other people like KRKs, Mackies, etc.

If you want Remix Deck, go for either the F1 or the MF.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Head to your local GC and find a pair of monitors that fit your ears best. Sound is very subjective.

Will definitely check out the monitors

In terms of remix decks, which is the best of the MF
    What are the pro's and con's of both the MF and F1

Thanks,
    Brendan

Tech Mentor

I can vouch for all these brands, although I have not used monitors from mackie, only bigger speakers.

In my experience, the KRKs are more pleasing to listen on, but not as flat as the HS series. The KRKs feel nicer for listening and DJing on, partly because I'm not using a sub and they have a bit of bass. For producing, the HS would be better I'd say. not sureif thats your interest.

personally, for djing/listening i like the krks better than anything i heard in that price range. i also got my 8's for $170 each and my 5's were free (both brand new from guitar center btw) so it's hard to pass them up at those prices.but yes, it's subjective so go and listen to all of them if you can and choose from there.as far as the controllers, you have to ask yourself what will be best for you flow.*the f1 has knobs/faders and works tightly with traktors remix decks right out of the box.*mdf spectra/3d have no knobs but awesome arcade buttons for doing multiple quick hits if you're into that.*the launchpad has a ton of buttons which you can map the remix decks and effects without having to change banks, but the buttons are smaller.
    Last edited by padi_04; 07-15-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: merge
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Guru

Funny thing is I prefer the HS50S for listening. The KRKs were way too muddy for me.

And that's why you go test them out

How in the world did you get 5s free from GC?

I tested monitors out at GC and loved my M-Audio BX5's better than the rest.. Of course that's just my opinion.

I made the tech sit there with me and run through every speaker at least 3 times.

This topic comes up SO frequently, we need a sticky.

Usually these threads end with a few people explaining that monitors are great for production, but not well-suited to DJing. You're much better off with some hi-fi speakers and an amplifier. Better sound quality, and it's also much, much cheaper.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    This topic comes up SO frequently, we need a sticky.

Usually these threads end with a few people explaining that monitors are great for production, but not well-suited to DJing. You're much better off with some hi-fi speakers and an amplifier. Better sound quality, and it's also much, much cheaper.
    actually this is sort of a double post
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...646#post636646

Funny thing is I prefer the HS50S for listening. The KRKs were way too muddy for me.

And that's why you go test them out

How in the world did you get 5s free from GC?
    I was buying a maschine mk1 and they matched a pro audio star package deal for free 5s. Even better, a week later ni put maschine on sale and gc gave me the extra money back to reflect the new price. Good timing and the best deal I've gotten from them.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast