Thinking of switching to Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Thinking of switching to Traktor

Lately I've been playing with Traktor DJ, and I am thinking of getting a full traktor. With the new X1 coming out real soon, I'd like to know if I can just DJ with that or do I still need an S4/S2? Or should I just get 2 x1? Noobie query I know...

Tech Mentor

The X1 is a "decks and effects" controller, but doesn't have any real controls for mixing (volume faders, EQ, filters, etc.) It also doesn't have a sound card, so you'd have to buy that as well.

You could, however, pair it with a Kontrol Z1 which covers both bases. Or, yes, an S4/S2 would work nicely too (and you wouldn't need the X1, though you could use it as well).

Tech Mentor

the x1 does not have a mixer section (eq's, volume faders, x-fader etc.). you can get a s2/s4 but you probably wouldn't need the x1 then because it has pretty much all the controls you need. the z1 gives you a basic mixer with integrated soundcard and would work as a basic 2-channel setup. you can also have a look at different midi-controllers if you are looking for a all-in-one solution or an external mixer and soundcard if you want more of a modular and expendable setup.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Tech Guru

Technically you don't need any equipment to DJ w/ Traktor, besides maybe some sort of soundcard and the keys on your laptop. So yea you can def DJ w/ 2 X1's. It's not the traditional way to DJ (2 decks + mixer), but it's possible, and it may or may not fit your style.

Tech Guru

my S4 is the best purchase I ever made in my music career. Looks like futuristic space bongos. It's also on offer at the moment I believe so you can get it at a steal!
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Convert

Wow thanks guys! I forgot to mention I already have an Audio 6 sound card. I must say it's really good. German technology is amazing. I have been dabbling (read: in my bedroom after work) with Ableton (as I make beats) but Traktor seems more intuitive when it comes to djing.

Will think about the S4. Thank you!

Ooops, one more thing... What are the major drawbacks of the S2 as opposed to the S4?

Last edited by shazeeishak; 07-15-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added website

Tech Guru

Probably will miss a few.... 4-channel mixer section vs 2, Phone/Line inputs and scratch timecode control vs none of those, dedicated filter knobs vs clicky encoders

Tech Guru

If you already have the sound card, I think you should get a mixer and x1.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Probably will miss a few.... 4-channel mixer section vs 2, Phone/Line inputs and scratch timecode control vs none of those, dedicated filter knobs vs clicky encoders
    MIDI in port.

Tech Guru

Yea that and the footswitch input, didn't think they worth mentioning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast