Beginner buying his first digital DJ setup. Is this setup good?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    toka

Default Beginner buying his first digital DJ setup. Is this setup good?

Hello,

Im a beginner DJ and will start learning. I currently own a Macbook Pro laptop which i will run Traktor on.

Im planning to buy this equipment to start to learn with:

FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2I4 Audio Interface

NUMARK M 2 2 Channel mixer

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR KONTROL X1

Is this enough to start learning on and go more professionally on after a while? My budget is 450 EUR.

Please advice.

Tech Guru

Looks good. You might be better off with a Traktor Audio 2 which includes Traktor Pro, unless you specifically need the extra IO on the 2i4.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

i don't know that soundcard, but for a lower price you can get a traktor audio 2 that simply has 2 outputs (all you need for the setup you have listed).
    otherwise, think about maybe getting an audio 4 (about the same price as the scarlett i think), it will give you the possibility to add turntables or cdjs with timecode later as it is scratch-certified.
    the x1 is a lovely piece of gear, but you might want to wait some weeks with your purchase as the x1 mk2 is literally just around the corner. also check out the beringer cmd series for modular midi controllers.

don't know anything about the mixer, but seems to be a legit 2-channel mixer with everything you need to start out.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

toka

I have also been thinking about Numark Mixtrack Pro 2 or Denon MC2000. What are the advantages by buying either of these over the setup with lets say Traktor Audio 2, Numark 2 channel mixer and a Traktor X1 in terms of control, flexibility and in order to learn all the essentials dj basics?

toka

Hey guys, thanx for the suggestions. I think i have made up my mind and will buy the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 DJ Controller. What do you think?

Default 1st Thing.

In my humble opinion...A beginning DJ should consider building their "music library" first.

Quote Originally Posted by toka View Post
    Hey guys, thanx for the suggestions. I think i have made up my mind and will buy the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 DJ Controller. What do you think?

Might as well go for the s4 with how cheap it is right now.

Im glad you're moving towards an all in one controller rather then a mixer, x1 and no decks whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Might as well go for the s4 with how cheap it is right now.

Im glad you're moving towards an all in one controller rather then a mixer, x1 and no decks whatsoever.
    That's an awesome setup though. Not sure why you'd not want it. You have the choice of internal or external mixing, and if the club has a mixer you like you just roll up with your x1 and a laptop and audio card.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

I recommend Denon MC3000 + Traktor. Selling online just a touch over 300 USD. The total cost of MC3000 and software would be a bit more than S2 paired. I was also considering S2.

The MC3000 is a 2 physical channel controller with control over 2 additional track or remix decks. The S2 is a 2 channel controller with sample deck control. MC300 has a physical hi/low pass filter, the S2 does not but allows for the same control via software and shared control. A backup iPod/phone can be played through the MC300, not to my knowledge on the S2.

I was concerned about the sensitivity of the jogs and was always something I weighed heavy as I have read that S2, S4 and 4 track are the only controllers with HID jogs. I am using Macbook Pro with Raycotek mapping. Jogs on the Denon are fantastic! paired with a more than acceptable cut in on the crossfader when Traktor is set sharp.

The MC300 with its current street price may be champ. Built like a tank, excellent jogs, knobs, faders and nice pad like buttons all over the place. Still super portable, VCI 400 starts getting big with S4 and DDJ SX on the large size.

The MC3000 would let you get nice on 2 channels and be creative with smart planning on the soft takeover on a 4 deck or the remix decks. I love using the tempo sliders to beat match, easy to accurately push in + or - .01. MC3000 was made I believe after TP2; the design took a slightly less cramped and more mirrored layout then it's older larger brother while still sharing the same high quality component and build as the MC6000. Everything lines up nicely with Traktor.

A first controller should be on the mid to lower end of the scale but shouldn't limit your future abilities. I'm spending less on a controller and buying what I feel are the best headphones which will sit on head for hours at at time and take me into my next controller. In a year or so I believe a new S4 will be out possibly a new VCI-400 and DDJ SX (but tractor specific TX?). I would like to purchase a new version controller soon after its launch vs at the end.
    Last edited by therealKanoa; 07-18-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealKanoa View Post
    MC300 has a physical hi/low pass filter, the S2 does not but allows for the same control via software and shared control.
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but are you saying that you can use the hi/low pass filter on external sources???
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast