Repairing CDJ - Need Some Help!
    Tech Wizard

Default Repairing CDJ - Need Some Help!

So I recently stumbled onto some CDJ-200s for a steal. I got two units for $100 bucks but they have broken play/cue buttons and the units have been shelved for some time. Also, the jogs are a little tight and have an odd sound when turned but I was told that's normal on another forum. I honestly have no idea as I have no prior experience with any Pioneer products. Everything else is in great shape though, tested and working with no issue. Really puts meaning behind why so many people like their CDJs, but I digress.

What I need help with is identifying if I am buying the right parts. I have looked over the Pioneer parts pdf numerous times and done my Google research as well. I am fairly certain I have the right parts. But you never know, I also don't want to go ahead and buy the tact switches if they aren't necessary. Since I've never used any Pioneer CDJ for more than twenty minutes I can't really tell if they're broken or not.

That said the tact switches currently feel a bit mushy. It's kind of like pushing a calculator button. There is no click or tactile feel to them. The other switches on the unit for say the text buttons feel tactile and give a click so you know it's pressed. However, given that they're entirely different style buttons I'm not sure if that's a good measure. Anyone have any good solid help for this situation? I don't mind replacing them, and after abuse in a bar/club maybe it's time to replace them anyway, but I just want to be sure before I pay a buddy of mine to solder them (He's a professional mechanic, so no worries on that getting screwed up in the process).

That said, here is the part list I have from Pioneer. Unfortunately, their site is like every other manufacturer I've dealt with for parts, no descriptions that help nor any pictures. Also if you know any US places that sell parts I'd greatly appreciate it, all the parts I find are out of the country. The one US site I found would not price match Pioneer and charged a pretty big markup.

DAC2418
    Pioneer Description: PLAY BUTTON
    Researched this a bit, it's the CDJ-400 play/cue button assembly which is exactly the same as the CDJ-200. Pretty sure I am safe.

DNK4387
    Pioneer Description: KNOB (PLASTIC)
    Researched this as well, PDF shows it's the top plastic jogwheel. Other websites confirm but Pioneer oddly doesn't have it listed under the CDJ-200 which scares me since it's not universal.

DSG1079
    Pioneer Description: SWITCH
    This one worries me. This is the tact switch, it is not in the Pioneer PDF. I was able to find it on eBay where it was listed as the tact switch for several different Pioneer units with the 200 being listed. Other websites confirm this as well but another case of Pioneer not really listing it anywhere so it concerns me.

Anyway, sorry for the wall if anyone has any experience with this that would be awesome. Thanks.

TLDR
    - Bought used Pioneer gear, need to replace some parts but not sure on two of them. Also not sure if the tact switches under the cue/play buttons feel right or need to be replaced. Halp.

Edit: Ended up posting on Pioneers forums, but they can't seem to help. I'm fairly certain I've got ALL the parts accurate after doing more research. My question now however is if anyone has soldered the tact switches onto a CDJ PCB. Tips for success? I don't want to cause any issues with the wrong solder/bad solder connections. Thanks
    Last edited by jhoward06; 07-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Looks to me like the CDJ200 uses some of those nasty "blister" type buttons on the PCB. You'd be better off getting a complete replacement left PCB.

EDIT: Actually, after a little more digging, it looks like they are indeed little round tact switches. It's through-the-hole soldering so not that difficult You shouldn't need to order replacement buttons themselves, just the switches.

You can order the whole PCB here: http://www.artaudioparts.com/product/dws1356

Bit expensive though.
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 07-16-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Wizard

The plastic pieces that hold the play and cue buttons in place snapped on both units. I thought of possibly super gluing them back together but they're only $22 bucks so I might as well buy everything in one go from Pioneer. I did some more research though and have concluded that the tact switches are probably shot, a few videos I watched showed the buttons giving an audible click like the other buttons on the unit and these surely don't do that anymore. Also figured out my jogwheels are warped so they grind a bit as well. TLDR These things have been through hell which is really odd given their place in the CDJ line, but who knows lol. The soldering is now my only concern but it looks fairly easy and the guy I had asked to do it is more than competent. So I'm not worried about that.

Tech Guru

its actually an easy enough repair. the switches you found on ebay will probably do the trick. there is a seller on ebay based in the UK called 'methleykev' that i use for all my pioneer parts
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Look around google for the cdj 200 service manual. That will give you the associated codes with each of the parts you need to buy. Once you know the codes you can grab them from the Pioneer parts website or eBay or something. The service manual is good because it also tells you how to open the unit properly (not that it's terribly difficult).
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs