[Other] Recorded a mix and then found the most minimal wave form. What did I do wrong?

Default Recorded a mix and then found the most minimal wave form. What did I do wrong?

This is the first mix I've ever recorded-- I appreciate the help. This test mix has the most minimal wave form; is that a bad thing? If so, how bad? Here's a screenshot of the mix on the top left:

http://imgur.com/MwNUpnH

I reckon the opposite waveform is what mine should look like.

I recorded my set to a Zoom H4n. The recording was encoded as 320 kbps MP3 at 44.1 khz. I used TRS inputs from my Novation Twitch to the H4n using the Master outs. The levels shown on the H4n didn't go above 3/4ths.

Additionally, when I play the mix, the sound levels are extremely low.

This mix is intended for Soundcloud listening.

What should I do to improve my mix?

Thanks.

-Max

I always record my mixes at a lower volume to prevent any clipping. I then use Audacity to normalise it to -0.1db, it's definitely not the right way to do it, but it's how I do things.
    Equipment: 2x CDJ 2000s // Kontrol Z2 // 2x KRK Rokit 5s // Maschine MkII // Scarlett 2i2

Soundcloud Twitter Facebook

Its normal for a recording to come out quiet. Usually -12db - -15db is about right. As mentioned you then throw the recording into audacity ar similar to bring the volume up.
    I see you use a Twitch ... why not just record in internal mode and save yourself a hassle?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    why not just record in internal mode and save yourself a hassle?
    I used the H4n as I'd like to record all of the mixes played in a night. Also, I have reliability issues with Itch/Twitch so I didn't want to make it have a harder time while performing. So, I've turned the input up and now I see clipping; I can't hear distortion though. Is that a problem? Also is the size of the waveform an indication of volume alone or an indication of the quality of the encoding as well? Thanks, Jester.

Would you like to have a listen to the mix?