S4 EQ levels.

Thread: S4 EQ levels.

Default S4 EQ levels.

Hi all, i need a couple of tips Ref the EQ's on the S4.

I had a mess around on a friends mixer the other day (i cant remember the exact model. A denon of some sort) and noticed his EQ's had a lot more play in them. So much so i had to be quite careful when mixing as they were quite sensitive, but in a good way. The mixes could be as subtle/harsh as i liked with a lot of room either side of the 12 O'clock.

Going back to my S4 and i've seen they are no-where near as good. Is it a settings tweak that can be messed around with, or does the S4 not cut it next to a mixer? Im on the fence as wether to get rid of it anyway for a couple of reasons but love its all in oneness and its sync up with traktor.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

S4 doesn't really compare to a traditional mixer in any way. Setting my gains is just a nightmare on an S4 but maybe it's just because of a way that my buddy has his settings setup in Traktor... Either way, jumping from a traditional mixer back to an S4 kinda gave me and a lot of my friends an "okay... screw this thing" kind of feeling....

My setup is 2 midi fighter spectras with a z2 mixer. Super flexible and flawless traktor implementation. The z2 is a quality mixer that allows you to ditch the finiky controller issues. Also, play with the EQ settings under the "mixer" section in traktor.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

You can try changing the EG type in the settings. What are you currently using? My preference was the Xone EQ setting. That said it was for this very reason I sold my S4 and moved to an external mixer.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

If you liked how the EQ's on the denon felt, try using the "Iso Z" eq's in traktor. not the same but the only one with full kills afaik.
    As mentioned the eq's in traktor are only emulated versions of those found on "real" mixers, but not too bad.
    p.s to change this, go into the "Mixer" tab in the traktor prefs
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Thanks for the answer's guys. I've currently got it set to the 'Iso Z' Jester as i like the full EQ kill's. However it's not quite there after messing around with it.

I think it's been a while coming but the save up for a Scratch certified mixer might be round the corner! Best i get saving...
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.