Record mix with Audacity - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    Ok, it was a setting in my Mac preferences. Thanks guys. However, I tried recording through Traktor and I'm not getting any sound. Using the 900s in HID mode. External mixing, internal recording. Nothing. Do I even need the y-cable for this?
    You can't use separate sound cards for Traktor recording unless you aggregate your recording sound card with your CDJs beforehand.

Have you 100% confirmed that your Mac has a useable Line Input?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You can't use separate sound cards for Traktor recording unless you aggregate your recording sound card with your CDJs beforehand.

Have you 100% confirmed that your Mac has a useable Line Input?
    1. How would I aggregate the mixer's soundcard with the CDJs?
    2. It's a 2011 MBP. I don't really know how I'd confirm that.
    3. I'm not tech savy. I'm sorry.

Schalenberg

If I were to get a USB hub, could I plug the 2 CDJs into my laptop as I have it now and use the hub for the xone for use in the manner jdownesbaird posted previously?

Tech Guru

Yes, CDJs work fine through a hub.

If you have successfully recorded a mix in Audacity that confirms that your Line In is working. Do a search on Google for "Mac Aggregate Audio" and several simple tutorials will come up.

You will still need to aggregate the DB2 with the CDJs if you want to record through that within Traktor while using the CDJs for sound output. Alternatively you could use the DB2 sound card for all your sound input and output.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Schalenberg

Ok, I did manage to get the recording for Audacity to work late last night so that takes care of that. Would I aggregate the Xone as I did the CDJs? I think it was through MIDI settings in my Mac, if I'm not mistaken.

*The only reason I'm interested in recording with Traktor is due to the auto-gain feature. Is there another software where I can record with this feature? That might save me the hassle of getting a hub and just plugging the mixer alone into my laptop.
    Last edited by Schalenberg; 07-18-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Tech Guru

It would make more sense to use the DB2 for all your audio input/output so that aggregating is not necessary. You can do this once you get a USB hub.

Until then you could aggregate your internal sound card with your CDJs using the "Audio MIDI Setup" program. This will allow you to record your mix within Traktor.

Schalenberg

So switch from HID mode to MIDI mode so that I CAN record the mix? I feel like I'm asking stupid questions.
    Last edited by Schalenberg; 07-18-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Tech Guru

So switch from HID mode to MIDI mode so that I CAN record the mix? I feel like I'm asking stupid questions.
    There is no need to use MIDI in order to record. You can continue to use HID in all situations.

*The only reason I'm interested in recording with Traktor is due to the auto-gain feature. Is there another software where I can record with this feature? That might save me the hassle of getting a hub and just plugging the mixer alone into my laptop.
    There is no auto-gain in Traktor's recorder. Not having to load up another program for recording makes things more convenient though.

If you don't plug your CDJs into the laptop you of course cannot use HID i.e. cannot use Traktor. Using a hub will let you use the DB2 sound card for your audio. And if you don't want a hub, just aggregate your on-board audio with your CDJs and you'll be able to record within Traktor.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    And if you don't want a hub, just aggregate your on-board audio with your CDJs and you'll be able to record within Traktor.
    I've already aggregated my CDJs. That's how I'm able to use Traktor. When I go to Audio Setup, I select Aggregate Device and link the CDJs. The problem is when I select Internal Mixing, as I've read I have to do to record, the sound comes out of my laptop instead of my speakers. I see the volume coming out of Deck A and B right next to the record button and all.

Tech Guru

You do not need to select Internal Mixing to record.

Aggregating your internal on-board sound will give you an additional stereo input/output for your aggregated audio device. You can continue to use the CDJs to output sound while using the Macbook's audio socket to record from.

Once you have all 3 sound cards aggregated (CDJ+CDJ+onboard), select the record input as one of your Deck Inputs in Traktor's Input Routing, and choose the same deck as your External Record Source in Traktor's Mix Recorder settings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast