Website Domain Opinions

Default Website Domain Opinions

Hello all. Just looking to solicit some opinions on domain name choice. A good friend of mine and I have decided to collaborate (both on production and djing) and have found a name that we both like quite a bit. Unfortunately, the domain is already owned (though not actively utilized), although it may become available later this year. In the meantime the following are available:

the______________.com; ____________music.com; and _____________djs.com

I am looking for anyone's thoughts on the above, and any reasoning why you might lean towards any one name or the other. Of course, I realize that not releasing the potential name certainly may limit the extent of opinions i can expect to receive in response to this post, but until these things are finalized we would prefer not to announce the potential name. Thanks for any input-I look forward to reading the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by jfd6812 View Post
    Hello all. Just looking to solicit some opinions on domain name choice. A good friend of mine and I have decided to collaborate (both on production and djing) and have found a name that we both like quite a bit. Unfortunately, the domain is already owned (though not actively utilized), although it may become available later this year. In the meantime the following are available:

the______________.com; ____________music.com; and _____________djs.com

I am looking for anyone's thoughts on the above, and any reasoning why you might lean towards any one name or the other. Of course, I realize that not releasing the potential name certainly may limit the extent of opinions i can expect to receive in response to this post, but until these things are finalized we would prefer not to announce the potential name. Thanks for any input-I look forward to reading the responses.
    Is it taken in .net/.org as well as .com?

How about .us or .info? It's usually more sensible to go for the same domain with a different extension; it makes ICANN disputes easier to go for in the future.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

If your willing to spend a bit more coin you can register your domain in Djibouti. the extension will be

something.dj

It's $100US a year though.

There are heaps of different extensions so you can be more creative, but they all have different pricing structures..

Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    If your willing to spend a bit more coin you can register your domain in Djibouti. the extension will be

something.dj

It's $100US a year though.
    One problem with domain names outside .com .org and .net is that they are almost impossible to get any search engine rank for regardless of the amount of SEO work that goes into it (check some of the SEO forums).

.dj would be especially hard as its a regionalized domain which google takes into consideration for local listings, but will virtually make it non existant to other countries.

Just something else to consider.

Also check out godaddy auctions, expired domains and domains bot ... you may find something very interesting.

With your suggestions above I'd probably register _______music.com as its not tied to either production or djing specifically (and subdomains could be used for each task).

However would greatly depend on the first word ... e.g. Greatmusic.com is fine but productionanddjingmusic.com looks crappy.
    Last edited by deevey; 07-20-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks alot for the input - all of the above were very helpful - and appreciated! I will post later one when the final decision is made. Thanks again-

Tech Wizard

Choose a simple name.com easy for ppl to remember.... is my little tip make it simple

DJ Max
    562 968 8273
    www.3balldj.com