Vestax Pdx2000mk1 v Technics 1210mk2

Default Vestax Pdx2000mk1 v Technics 1210mk2

A mate brought me a1210mk2 around yesterday he's had in his loft for years for me to try too see if I like them as he's seen my posts about them haha. Seem to be struggling to mix as well as I can on my vestax. Going off the dots on the platter with the red light on them, its fine at zero but seems to be out on the -3.3 and the +6 settings, obviously it looks like it needs calibrating, would this being out throw my mixing on it or is it just purely I'm used to mine and the pitch faders glide up and down freely whereas the technics are very firm? Only spent a few hours on it last night tho so maybe after a good few go's on it I would probably be use to it
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Easy enough to calibrate them, mate. It'll take you 10 minutes.

Check out the vids on youtube.

Whenever you try new/different equipment, you'll have to learn to compensate for the differences. I remember the PDX2K's were a bugger to mix on after using 1210's/1200's, so it's gonna be exactly same going from Vestax to Technics.

Personally, I can see why some DJ's preferred PDX's for scratching (you can really bash them about without skips!), but I never got on well with them for mixing.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I'd echo what Patch says, it's just a case of getting used to the differences between the two different makes. My vinyl setup at the moment is actually a Technics 1210 M3D and one of my Vestax PDX2000mk2s- to start with the 1210 took a bit of getting used to after using the Vestax for ages, but if I had to choose one of them now I'd be hard pressed.

It's actually quite fun having the two different TTs in one setup. I use my TTs purely for spinning vinyl (no DVS) at home, and it keeps me on my toes having different length/resistance pitch faders. I've never been a fan of nudging the vinyl when beatmatching/mixing so all my work is always done on the pitch faders, and in this respect the looser fader and 10% pitch range on the Vestax is better, particularly when trying to beatmatch a track very quickly. However I much prefer the numbered increments on the Technics (very useful when using the fader for nudging) and the tighter fader feels a lot more precise when making small adjustments.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Defo agree with you on that, not sure how long i'll have the technics to use so going to try get on it as often as poss and see if i get the hang of it, then once i have i will judge which i prefer. Like you say the looser pitch fader on the vestax makes it easier in my opinion to match up the beat quickly, i tend to go up and down on the fader slowly narrowing the movement until i settle where i need to be.. seems to work well for beatmatching on the vestax for me...
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    i tend to go up and down on the fader slowly narrowing the movement until i settle where i need to be.. seems to work well for beatmatching on the vestax for me...
    Yep this is how I've always beatmatched on vinyl and the vestax are great for this. Oddly enough my old Gemini SA600mk2 (cheap 1210 clone) that I learnt on is even better for this as its pitch fader is buttery smooth! It's just a shame the torque isn't in the same league as the Technics or Vestax. A great budget table though, leagues ahead of the Gemini XL500s it replaced.

When i playing trance vinyl with long smooth mixes though I definately prefer my 1210 over the vestax.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

so i've now bought the 1210mk2 off my mate so its here to stay, need to sell the Vestax now and then i shall purchase another 1210mk2