The VJing Topic

Thread: The VJing Topic

Default The VJing Topic

I just started with doing visuals and I'm enjoying myself a lot, so much new and cool stuff to learn!
    That made me wonder, are there any other techtoolians that do VJing?
    What software do you use? Where do you get your visuals from? All that stuff

Also, here are some awesome examples of VJing:

(These are real physical cubes with a projection mapped on them)

(Flying Lotus' Layer 3 set-up)

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Just started doing some experiments with 3d mapping. Using Illustrator to draw the physical cubes that I have made then After Effects CS5.5 for the animations! Its really fun and great to watch when you get it right.

This is my next project for a 3d DJ booth environment:

That's really cool, projection mapping is the most interesting to me. I was thinking about making a boot like the first video, or maybe fill a stage with boxes like in the 2nd one... ^^

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Im really wanting to get into this stuff.
    I need a midi mapable 3d projection mapping program

Jacksoe do you make animations with the perspective already in them or do you use flat square animations and then bend them through your software?

Tech Mentor

dont know much about vjing, but this is awesome.
    Last edited by Volpe; 07-26-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Tech Guru

I VJ on a regular basis testing out a site that I have been building for 8 months or so VJStream.tv. The site is built around VJ's and have been meaning to tell the world so I guess now is a good time to start!

Currently I use GrandVJ, modul8 and many video loops and such from various vendors. It gets really fun when you start using layers in Wirecast where you can combine multiple loops and such to create interesting variations of the original content.

Would love to hear more about folks setups! You can also see a few of the VJs recorded shows over at http://vjstream.tv/vod/vodlist - we would love to see more VJs broadcasting on the site (it's free)!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvee View Post
    Jacksoe do you make animations with the perspective already in them or do you use flat square animations and then bend them through your software?
    Good question, you can do it either way, easiest though is flat square animations and then bending it in software depending on how you want it to look. I tend to stick with block colours rather than video.

Here is an example:

Quote Originally Posted by jacksoe12 View Post
    Good question, you can do it either way, easiest though is flat square animations and then bending it in software depending on how you want it to look. I tend to stick with block colours rather than video.
    What software would be good for animation creation and playback?