Help choose a good mic for use in the DJ booth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Help choose a good mic for use in the DJ booth?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what the ideal mic would be for use in the DJ booth. I play a lot of gigs at big out door festivals and just this last weekend I tried having a vocalist working with me. We had a lot of issues with feedback and finding a spot for her to stand that minimized the problems.

I suspect I can just pick a better mic but this isn't something I know much about. Can anyone recommend the best route to go for using in the booth while playing on massive sound systems?

Cheers,
    ~Weaver

Shure SM58 is the industry standard. It's just under a couple of hundred dollars. If you buy cheap from ebay you will get a fake, always use a music shop.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Are you talking about a wireless or wired system?

You can get a wired SM58 under $100 all day long. Otherwise, don't waste your time with anything cheaper than ~$300 wireless. The new Shure BLX mics are really quite good for the price. Although I haven't tried one, the Line 6 XD‑V35 is supposed to be great as well.

Although, if you are playing said large outdoor festivals, why is the production company not providing the mics?

Sorry I'm in Australia... we get ripped off compared to the USA on sound gear... I keep forgetting that.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

shure SM58 all day!!! wired of course because of the cost!!! and it can take quite a beat before it breaks down!!! best price/quality mic out there!!!

Tech Wizard

Thanks all!

I think there is no doubt about choosing SM58. Grab it now!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

A lot of people by a cheap ass mic cus they don't wanna spend much on the part of their gear they will use the least or will only use cus the club requires it.

Then they soon realise that using a cheap mic makes their voice sound terrible, so even if you don't really wanna use the mic, when you do you don't wanna sound shite.

Then they go and buy a mid-priced mic that idiots on forums recommend (not this one judging by the replies) and they think they will get quality sound from a mid-priced mic and some do. BUT one day you open your bag and the mic is in bits. It sounded ok but it was NOT made to last. I have lost count of the times that people say "SM58's are overpriced you don't need one" you can guarantee that the people that say that are the kind that settle for 2nd best all the time.

SO eventually you pony up and finally get a Shure SM58 and you wonder why didnt save yourself a bunch of money and hassle in the first place and buy an SM58.

You cannot kill an SM58 and they sound crystal clear and they are worth the money.

Retail in UK is about £95. You can get them new on eBay (genuine) for around £85 and the switched version a bit cheaper.
    Someone will tell you you can get them cheaper, you can't , they are fake.

The closest alternative is the Beyerdynamic TG-X58 which is good but at £20 cheaper, what's the point.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Just going to add a +1 for SM58 you CANNOT kill them and they always sound good.

You could also pick up a second hand Shure SM57 which would do the job nicely; they're an older design and therefore haven't held their value as well on the second hand market.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast