macbook pro internal sound

Default macbook pro internal sound

bit of an odd one here guys, and just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue...
    I was watching a movie on my late 2008mbp the other day and all of a sudden the sound lost all quality! no bass and hardly any mids, i know the internal speakers are nothing special but this is really bad...

I've googled and found nothing but sarcastic answers to the same question.

if the speakers need replaced its not an issue as they are cheap enough but at the same time i dont want to do this unless i have to.

oddly though if i do an smc & pram reset the sound is good for a couple of seconds and then back to crappy?

any ideas guys and girls? as im getting pissed off with wearing my headphones all of the time
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    bit of an odd one here guys, and just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue...
    I was watching a movie on my late 2008mbp the other day and all of a sudden the sound lost all quality! no bass and hardly any mids, i know the internal speakers are nothing special but this is really bad...

I've googled and found nothing but sarcastic answers to the same question.

if the speakers need replaced its not an issue as they are cheap enough but at the same time i dont want to do this unless i have to.

oddly though if i do an smc & pram reset the sound is good for a couple of seconds and then back to crappy?

any ideas guys and girls? as im getting pissed off with wearing my headphones all of the time
    Obvious question here, but is the problem the same with ALL media players?

EDIT: Tap the surface directly to the right of the trackpad, if that brings the sound back for a couple of seconds you've got a loose connection inside the machine, which means a complete strip-down. It's a ballache, but if it's out of warranty its a HELL of a lot cheaper than taking it in to the "Geniuses" with a capital R.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

hi, thanks for the quick reply, yes the problem is with anything thats outputting sound, i did read about tapping to the right of the trackpad and sometimes it brings sound back momentarily, i also stripped down and unplugged/replugged but to no avail, is it likely to be a problem on the speaker or the logic board if the tapping brings it back for a second??

hi, thanks for the quick reply, yes the problem is with anything thats outputting sound, i did read about tapping to the right of the trackpad and sometimes it brings sound back momentarily, i also stripped down and unplugged/replugged but to no avail, is it likely to be a problem on the speaker or the logic board if the tapping brings it back for a second??
    I'd wager it's a problem with the CONNECTOR rather than anything else; or possibly a poor solder joint on the speaker.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

good thinking... ill have it apart and take a look see .... i'll report back soon :P

Tech Wizard

If you need some help with disassembling, follow this guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...Teardown/590/1

Going on the assumption that you have the 15" though

hi, thanks for the link, and sorry i didnt get back sooner, it was the link i was using gotta love ifixit!

aaaanyway... i had it apart, checked the joints etc.. and all seems fine, i couldn't (wouldn't) disassemble the actual speaker unit itself, however put it back together and still screwed... looks like i'll be ordering a new set of speakers and see if that solves the issue

hi, thanks for the link, and sorry i didnt get back sooner, it was the link i was using gotta love ifixit!

aaaanyway... i had it apart, checked the joints etc.. and all seems fine, i couldn't (wouldn't) disassemble the actual speaker unit itself, however put it back together and still screwed... looks like i'll be ordering a new set of speakers and see if that solves the issue
    Try installing Windows on your Macbook and see if the problem still exists then; if not, it's a problem with OSX. A lot of people with this issue have reported it DOESNT happen when using Bootcamp, in which case a re-install of OSX might fix it.

hmmm yeah good idea, i'll mess about with that after this weekends gigs

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Try installing Windows on your Macbook and see if the problem still exists then; if not, it's a problem with OSX. A lot of people with this issue have reported it DOESNT happen when using Bootcamp, in which case a re-install of OSX might fix it.

Is it possible to install windows with Mac? Most of their softwares are not compatible with Mac.