My full report using CDJ-2000Nexus HID on SSL, Rane 62, plus MIDI Controller

Default My full report using CDJ-2000Nexus HID on SSL, Rane 62, plus MIDI Controller

I long anticipated the wait and last week it finally came, the Serato Scratch Live HID Native Control for the CDJ-2000Nexus's. Up until last night, we were only using the CDJ-2000Nexus's at Joker's Des Moines no better than a CDJ-1000. With the help of DJ Soulless who helped me set it up, we got to finally use the CDJ's to it's greater potential not only using it as a controller for Scratch Live but also figuring out how to switch the control to a different computer in a live situation (since switching computers is common with a Rane 62), as well as obstacles when switching to different modes on the CDJ like USB and CD mode. I went super nerd on this report but I wrote it thoroughly so anyone interested in doing a Rane 62/CDJ2000Nexus/MIDI Controller configuration can figure it out a well. I also included a few software update requests from Pioneer and Serato to improve a few things, as well as simple go arounds with those obstacles. To my DJ's who get geeky on the equipment, enjoy my report on a FULLY NATIVE CONTROLLED CDJ-2000Nexus, Rane 62, and Korg PadKontrol (MIDI Controller). It is my wish and hope that by unlocking these new controls, it should expand the creative freedoms of performance to a new level for all DJ's who use these decks. I've waited months and I finally got to write the report I wrote below.

----------------------------

Pri yon Joni Giglog 7/27/2013
    Joker's Club, Des Moines, Iowa

Video:

With the brand new firmware and software update Pioneer and Serato released last week, we are so pleased to finally use the CDJ-2000Nexus's along with the Rane 62 mixer in full HID control setup. Special thanks to DJ Soulless for helping me setup the new firmware for HID mode.

Purpose:
    To be able to use the CDJ's in HID mode along with Serato, while using a Rane 62, and a midi controller (Korg PadKontrol); while being able to easily switch to USB source mode, or CD mode (for those people who are have not updated, or are not comfortable using HID and prefer to use timecode configuration). I have also discovered since the Rane 62 is made to switch laptops, the CDJ HID control is easily switchable, simply by disconnecting and reconnecting to the next computer.

Gear:
    (1) Apple Macbook Pro (i7, 4gig RAM)
    (2) CDJ-2000Nexus
    (1) Rane 62
    (1) Korg PadKontrol
    (1) Powered USB hub
    (2) Passive USB hub
    (1) Ethernet cable (linking both CDJ's)

Software:
    Pioneer CDJ-2000Nexus Firmware Ver.1.13
    Serato Scratch Live Ver.2.5

Setup:
    -Both CDJ's are linked using Ethernet cable for when using USB source.
    -Both CDJ's USB outputs are combined on the 1 passive USB hub for HID control.
    -Powered USB hub takes in the Rane 62, Padkontrol (MIDI controller), and the passive USB hub. From here is connected directly to the computer.

Report (Pros, Cons, Discoveries, and Go Arounds):
    -This setup makes switching between SSL, USB, and CD mode easier.

-This setup makes switching between SSL and Traktor possible (if native control update for Traktor is available), utilizing the HID control.

-This setup allows the following controls on SSL that is not available in TIMECODE mode: on screen CDJ control of crates and track selection, full functional CUE and PLAY buttons, on deck range and tempo buttons, on screen BPM display with hundredth of a decimal accuracy, CDJ HOT CUE parallel to SSL HOT CUE, and CDJ loop functions. By using SSL in full HID mode, the CDJ's control SSL in a way that is mirrored to how the CDJ's function exclusively. It makes SSL feel like you're completely playing off the CDJ's with CD's.

-All native functions of CDJ-2000Nexus AND Rane 62 ALL WORK.

-Scratching sounds better in HID mode. It seems to have less digital crushing and screeching treble heavy noise.

-Unlike TIMECODE mode, HID mode has a fixed rotation marker on the center of the jog dial of the CDJ that seems to be relative to the song. When scratching and juggling in TIMECODE mode, I click my HOT CUE when the marker is at 12 o'clock. It is difficult to beat juggle fast when markers start anywhere else. I do not have this option in HID mode. Firmware/Software update from Pioneer/Serato, is to allow HOT CUES to be parallel with the rotation marker on the screen, or to begin at 12 o'clock for every HOT CUE point.

-When switching from SSL HID mode to a USB source on the CDJ, it is a little tricky. Let's say CDJ 1 has a USB flash drive plugged in, you simply press the USB button to switch to the flash drive. HOWEVER, on CDJ 2, given that your ethernet wire is connected between both CDJ's, you have to press LINK to open the USB source on CDJ 1…THE PROBLEM IS, if you are in HID mode, that option is not available. The current solution to this problem is, simply disconnect the USB wires that are connected to the CDJ's. This will disable the HID link, and allow you to open the USB flash drive from CDJ 2 when you click LINK. Firmware update I request from Pioneer is, when you click LINK, allow selection between USB source and HID mode.

-Because the Rane 62 is made to be able to easily switch between two laptops, it is possible to SWITCH HID CONTROL TO THE SECOND LAPTOP. In order to do this, you can simply DISCONNECT THE CDJ USB WHILE PLAYING. The music will continue to play in the software and not stop. In our setup, you simple disconnect the passive USB hub the CDJ's are connected to and transfer it to the second computer. You have to simply press LINK again on both CDJ's, and select DECK 1 for the left CDJ and DECK 2 for the right CDJ again.

-If in the event you want to switch from SSL HID mode, to SSL TIMECODE mode, simply have the SSL timecode disc inserted in both decks. Selected CD on the non-playing CDJ, and select REL or ABS on the corresponding deck on SSL.

-Because everything is now controlled internally without timecode CD processing, buffer setting can be lowered, however screen lag seems to be a little bit strong but this can either be a hard drive related issue or a RAM related issue due to heavy use of multiple USB devices. I predict a simple RAM upgrade should fix this problem.

-Not related to the HID mode but about using a MIDI controller, the Rane 62, unlike the Rane TTM57, requires of you a few things when using a MIDI controller. Typically, when preparing for a gig, you assign your MIDI parameters and save them in SSL. When using a TTM57 or any SL interface, your last setting will open when you open the software. HOWEVER, when you using a Rane 62, you have to ENABLE MIDI devices (for your first time) and manually load your MIDI settings. A software request from Serato, to allow last MIDI settings to open with the software no different from when using it with an SL1, 2, 3, and so forth.

-This configuration: 2 CDJNexus's, Rane 62, and PadKontrol, allows the user 3 sources of HOT CUES and 3 different ways to loop. DJ can use the functions from the CDJ, the mixer, and/or the MIDI controller. While the functions are similar, the positioning and slight variance in how they are enabled, allow ergonomic control increasing creative freedom.

Software Update Requests:

Pioneer:
    -When switching from SSL HID mode to a USB source on the CDJ, it is a little tricky. Let's say CDJ 1 has a USB flash drive plugged in, you simply press the USB button to switch to the flash drive. HOWEVER, on CDJ 2, given that your ethernet wire is connected between both CDJ's, you have to press LINK to open the USB source on CDJ 1…THE PROBLEM IS, if you are in HID mode, that option is not available. The current solution to this problem is, simply disconnect the USB wires that are connected to the CDJ's. This will disable the HID link, and allow you to open the USB flash drive from CDJ 2 when you click LINK. Firmware update I request from Pioneer is, when you click LINK, allow selection between USB source and HID mode.

-Unlike TIMECODE mode, HID mode has a fixed rotation marker on the center of the jog dial of the CDJ that seems to be relative to the song. When scratching and juggling in TIMECODE mode, I click my HOT CUE when the marker is at 12 o'clock. It is difficult to beat juggle fast when markers start anywhere else. I do not have this option in HID mode. Firmware/Software update from Pioneer/Serato, is to allow HOT CUES to be parallel with the rotation marker on the screen, or to begin at 12 o'clock for every HOT CUE point.

Serato:
    -Not related to the HID mode but about using a MIDI controller, the Rane 62, unlike the Rane TTM57, requires of you a few things when using a MIDI controller. Typically, when preparing for a gig, you assign your MIDI parameters and save them in SSL. When using a TTM57 or any SL interface, your last setting will open when you open the software. HOWEVER, when you using a Rane 62, you have to ENABLE MIDI devices (for your first time) and manually load your MIDI settings. A software request from Serato, to allow last MIDI settings to open with the software no different from when using it with an SL1, 2, 3, and so forth.

Written July 28, 2013,
    Pri yon Joni

----------------------------

FOR UPDATES ON THIS REPORT, SEE FOLLOWING LINK
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/pj-vi...51501843371691

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pri yon Joni View Post
    Pressing LINK when using HID with Traktor on the 2000s brings up a selection menu, allowing you to switch between SD(LINK), USB(LINK), and HID control. Not sure where the issue lies with your setup - it could be different on the Nexus, or on Serato vs Traktor. You may need to press BACK at some point to return to the correct menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pri yon Joni View Post
    I doubt this will ever be changed. The marker is there specifically to tell you where you are in a track and is not supposed to be customizable. The only reason you can move it in Timecode is because you are using Relative control.

If you use Rekordbox or standalone mode, a red indicator will appear at your current cue point which is the nearest you can get.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

So in supplement to my report using the CDJ-2000Nexus's in HID mode along with the Rane 62, I postulated an untested theory to utilize two turntables and two CDJ's with the Rane 62, to control two decks inside Scratch Live, with the OPTION TO SWITCH BETWEEN CDJ HID MODE and TIMECODE VINYL.

e7f2c612f89711e290d522000a1fb852_7.jpg

Tech Guru

You don't need a powered hub for the CDJs btw, so using a compact unpowered hub may simplify things for you.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB