Recording from turntables in Traktor Pro

Default Recording from turntables in Traktor Pro

I've been searching the net for an answer to this problem, but I've come up with nothing yet. Thanks in advance if any of you can help me out. Here goes...
    Hardware: 2 Technics 1200mk2, Denon DN-X120 Mixer, Novation Nio 2/4 Audio Interface, PC
    Software Traktor Pro (not Scratch) 1.2.7
    Problem: I would like to record my turntable mix using Traktor Pro, but I cannot get sound to come out of the speakers.
    I have the turntables connected to the mixer (phono inputs), which is then connected to the audio interface via RCAs from the mixer's Master output. There is only 1 RCA 'Line In' Red/White RCA connection on the audio interface, so I connect the RCAs there. This 'in' is labeled 1/2.
    I then go into audio settings in Traktor and change the Recording source to External, assign one of the A-D channels, and I then assign connection 1/2 to that same channel in the Input Routing section.
    In the Output Routing section, I assign connection 1/2 because the RCAs that lead to my speakers are connected to 1/2 on the Output section of the Audio interface.
    When I open up Traktor to attempt to record, if I play something on one of the turntables, I can see the bars bouncing around in the Record section of Traktor, but I hear nothing out of the speakers. If I press the Record button, and then play back the file that has been created, there is actually music that has been recorded. Problem is that I can't hear it while it is being recorded!
    I've tried turning everything up to full blast, which gets the bars bouncing into red in the recording section display, but nothing out of the speakers. The crossfader is in the correct position, and all volumes have been tried. Everything on the mixer seems to be set right. The switches on the audio interface are correctly set to 'Line.' I use Traktor Pro for playing/recording mixes using my VCI-100, and have had no problems with that. Please help this simple man figure this out!

Tech Guru

Uhhh, your speakers are connected to your mixer right?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

You need scratch and a certified soundcard/mixer. if you just want to rip a vinyl to digital, this is possible with your setup.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    The speakers are connected to the audio interface (soundcard) through the '1/2 out' RCA connection. There is only one RCA 'out' on the mixer, and that cable is going to the '1/2 line in' on the interface. There is also a set of 'balanced' outs on the mixer that I could try to use simultaneously, but I don't currently have those cables. Do the speakers need to be connected directly to the mixer instead of to the soundcard like when I use the VCI100? Maybe that is what Jester is telling me [that the music will not play and record at the same time through and uncertified interface]

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    This. If the sound is going through to Traktor (Which is sounds like it is by the bars being shown and audio being recorded) then it's got to be with the connection between the mixer and the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    You need scratch and a certified soundcard/mixer. if you just want to rip a vinyl to digital, this is possible with your setup.
    I think he's trying to record a vinyl set, not use timecode. If he is, then I think he'd be better off using something like audacity to record rather than Traktor (I've never had great experiences with Traktors in-built recorder).
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

That is correct robquick, I am trying to record a regular vinyl set. I do not have any timecode equipment -- though, it looks like I should think about finally picking up something.
    You're right that the sound is going through to Traktor, but I'm just not hearing it. I have the same issue with Sound Forge (bars moving but nothing coming out of the speakers). I'll take your advice and try Audacity when I get home later. Again, this is the exact same setup I use for the VCI100. I just unplug the VCI, change the 'input' and 'recording' settings to accommodate the signal from the mixer, but I leave the 'output' alone; so, there shouldn't be an issue.
    Thank you all for trying to help me through this! Keep any ideas coming, and I'll keep at it until I get it sorted. I ordered the TRS patch cables last night so that I may be able to have the 'balanced' outputs running directly from the mixer to the monitors while the other 'RCA' output is connected to the audio interface as it is now.

+1 for Audacity. I have recorded some buddies' sets though audacity (usually i use audition) with good results ...

Plug your speakers directly into your mixer, run an rca out from either booth or rec out from your mixer and after that it is easy to set up recordings in audacity.
    Last edited by Jester; 07-17-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    +1 for Audacity. I have recorded some buddies' sets though audacity (usually i use audition) with good results ...

Plug your speakers directly into your mixer, run an rca out from either booth or rec out from your mixer and after that it is easy to set up recordings in audacity.
    Thank you both for the Audacity idea! I got it to work with Audacity and my setup being the same way as listed above by selecting the "software playthrough" box in the recording part of the preferences menu. It says to uncheck for a stereo mix, so I'm a bit worried about quality -- once the TRS cables arrive, I'll do what Jester just said to try to alleviate this requirement. There is also lag in what is coming out of the speakers, but I might be able to work with it (plugging the headphones into the audio interface instead of the mixer gives me the same output as the speakers for beat-matching, so the lag is not really more than an ever-present annoyance [I can still hear the needle]). The only other pain is trying to adjust the gains for the best recording, but I guess that's part of the work -- mixing/recording via the VCI100 for the last 5 years has made me lazy thanks to the auto gain adjustment in Traktor. I haven't recorded from my decks to PC in literally 10 years, so I'm looking forward to getting a mix done!

Ok, I got some big help, and I'm good in Traktor now. A user on the NI forum taught me that I have to click on the arrow beneath the Deck letter and select "Live," or something like that [I'm on the first Traktor Pro, so it is actually "Audio Through"]. Gains and volumes still need to be configured, just like in Audacity, but I'm liking that I can use familiar software. For the delay, I reduced latency down to 1ms, and now it's is gone. So, I can now use my equipment just as I would if the PC were not there (headphones connected to mixer), while recording it through Traktor Pro. Thank you to everyone who helped, or even gave it consideration! Off to mix!