Beatport Analisys vs. Mixed In Key Analisys
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Beatport Analisys vs. Mixed In Key Analisys

Beatport uses a software to find the key of the tracks, just like Mixed In Key.

Which one is more precise?

Is there a easy way for finding the key of tracks by myself? (virtual pianos, etc.)

Thanks.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

It's a matter of what makes sense to you Camelot wheel is very easy to understand where as actual key requires some musical theory to really understand and be good at.

With that said I use Camelot because its easy and anyone can understand although I do enjoy real key readings when doing pure trance sets that start in a more prog spacey sound and work into more epic sounding.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    It's a matter of what makes sense to you Camelot wheel is very easy to understand where as actual key requires some musical theory to really understand and be good at.

With that said I use Camelot because its easy and anyone can understand although I do enjoy real key readings when doing pure trance sets that start in a more prog spacey sound and work into more epic sounding.

Ok but I'm not talking about which key notation is better. I'm talking about Precision.

Is Beatport software more precise than MIK?? thats the question.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

I've found all these key analysis programs are about 70% accurate. They all get some songs right; they all get some songs wrong. The only way to be 100% confident is to figure out the key yourself.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JBang View Post
    I've found all these key analysis programs are about 70% accurate. They all get some songs right; they all get some songs wrong. The only way to be 100% confident is to figure out the key yourself.
    How do I figure out the key by myself? What do you do for example?

Default Get a keyboard, guitar, etc.

Oi! Todo bem?

If the song sounds sad-ish, you can take a guess that it's a minor key. Otherwise major. I don't really know how else to go about it without a really good, trained ear.

Once you have a "guess" as to whether it's major or minor, you can try to play some of the chords in a given key you think it may be and see if it seems "in tune" with the chords being played in the music. You can do this on a piano/keyboard, guitar or perhaps a synth in a DAW. I, IV, and V chords are good chords to play as they'll likely be the most prominent keys played in the music. 7th chords may provide an even better chance to nail the key since there's four notes in a 7th vs. 3 in a "normal" chord.

Obviously, you'll need some music theory fundamentals to be able to do this, oh, and knowing how to play given chords on a given instrument. I guess you don't really need to play chords, you could play individual notes but the odds of a mismatch since it's only one note versus three or four in a chord is higher, potentially resulting in incorrect guesses on your part.

Basically, without a bit of music theory, knowing what notes are in which scales (which are determined by the song's key) and how to play the chords in an "instrument" of your choice. I guess I said all that to say this, you're probably better off with the 70% - 80% accuracy of a software guess than by trying it on your own if you don't have a great ear and a decent knowledge of music theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    How do I figure out the key by myself? What do you do for example?
    That takes some musical knowledge and the use of a piano. You have to train your ears.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    That takes some musical knowledge and the use of a piano. You have to train your ears.
    Ok, I tried it on a virtual piano and my ears seems to be finding the right buttons (keys). http://www.virtualpiano.net/
    But this virtual piano shows the keys as (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, etc.).

So I just need one of the following:

- A virtual piano that shows the button's key on Beatport's notation or Cammelot notation.
    or
    - A convertion list that will convert this piano's notation to Beatport's or Cammelot notation.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Daniboy; 07-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    Ok, I tried it on a virtual piano and my ears seems to be finding the right buttons (keys). http://www.virtualpiano.net/
    But this virtual piano shows the keys as (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, etc.).

So I just need one of the following:

- A virtual piano that shows the button's key on Beatport's notation or Cammelot notation.

!
    MIK is already the middleman workaround dude. It can't get any easier then that.

The best mixes I have heard are from people who don't use software for key matching, they just use there ears. It takes a couple years of playing an instrument/djing/producing to get it down pat.

or
    - A convertion list that will convert this piano's notation to Beatport's or Cammelot notation.

The camelot wheel already does this.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    MIK is already the middleman workaround dude. It can't get any easier then that.

The best mixes I have heard are from people who don't use software for key matching, they just use there ears. It takes a couple years of playing an instrument/djing/producing to get it down pat.
    Unlike 99% of the people here I play with no software (and no rekordbox). So I already did my "couple of years" training.

If I wanted something easy I wouldn't be asking for the hard way to do.

I know what MIK is and what good mixes are.

I just need some help to convert the notation I've talked about to Beatport's or MIK's.

I can find it on google but it will take me a lot of time.

Can someone please read what I ask and reply with good old usefull posts instead of "you gotta study more".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast