Kontrol S4/Mac/TP2 Audio Routing
    Tech Guru

Default Kontrol S4/Mac/TP2 Audio Routing

MODS: Apologies for the same post in different sections, trying to widen the audience

Evening all,

I've finally switched my venerable PC desktop to an iMac (2009), but still retaining the Win7 lappy for gigs.

I'm new to MacOS but very familiar with troubleshooting PC audio routing, and I've done the usual search for topics regarding Mac/S4/Audio/Routing however I can't quite find the solution to what seems a simple audio routing setup. For late night (i.e. no monitor use) broadcasting purposes I tend to use the following routing (Win7):

S4 USB Port > PC USB2.0 Port
    S4 RCAs > 3.5mm jack PC Soundcard input i.e. line in
    PC H/Phone Out (3.5mm jack) > Headphones

In terms of Audio Setup in TP2: Audio Device set to 'Traktor Kontrol S4' and the Built-In Soundcard set to 'Kontrol S4 WDM Audio' i.e. shared.

This results in a lovely blue speaker icon at the top of the TP2 window.

Basically with the Win7 setup listed above I'm able to control/play audio in TP2 from the S4 to PC Line In, broadcast this input, and monitor the output from the PC headphone output... lovely jubbly, happy Backtothefront

So forwarding on to the Mac:

I've set up the physical connections similarly to the PC config above i.e.

S4 USB > iMac USB Port
    S4 RCAs > 3.5mm jack to iMac Line In
    iMac Headphones Out > Headphones

Within TP2 the Audio Device is set to Kontrol S4, however the speaker icon at top of the TP2 window is orange which obviously identifies a audio routing problem. I've checked within Sys Prefs in MacOS which is seeing an audio signal correctly to Line In however I cannot hear any audio out of the Mac built in speakers/headphones (when connected). Within TP2 itself the audio appears to be playing correctly, with exception of the 'orange lit speaker icon'.

If I switch the Audio Device to 'Built-In Core Audio' then the icon goes blue and I can now hear the tracks playing over the Mac speakers/headphones. In this situation however the hardware Main Vol knob has no effect on the output volume from TP2, which I know is independent from the 'inside TP2 Main Vol'. This essentially means the output I can hear is the audio via USB as opposed to the S4 RCA output which is what I'm after.

I've been through the MacOS utils to see what I can change audio wise without any luck. I suspect this is just a case of how it works, but I wondered if anyone had any solutions to being able to use the actual S4 RCA Audio Output through the Mac for broadcasting and monitoring purposes.

I hope I've explained it so it can be understood, thanks in advance, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

BTTF
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Guru

What was the reason for routing the S4 Master Out through the computer and into headphones? Do you use 2 pairs of phones for Cue and Master channels..?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Sounds like maybe what you need to do is check the system output sound option within Macos and check its no set to output via the s4 sound card and also you might need to have GarageBand or some other software that can output the computer input but I'm gonna be honest it sounds complex to run a broadcast audio feed in this manor and maybe someone experienced in this topic might be able to assist you better as I no there are many mac users who broadcast regularly who use this forum

Tech Guru

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

It's a slightly odd way I know, the main reason being is I use BUTT to broadcast to the radio stations host servers, as far as I can make out BUTT uses the line in as a source and sends it straight out, really simple.

The reason I use headphones sometimes is to monitor the overall output, it's not always possible to use my usual speaker monitors.

I suppose I've over complicated my initial post but thought the background info would be useful. The bottom line is unless I change TP2 Audio Device to 'Built In Core Audio' from 'Kontrol S4' I cannot hear any audio out of the Mac itself (either built in speakers or headphones) however the Mac is correctly receiving the audio signal from the Line In - so it's basically a monitoring issue as opposed to audio in problem.

Hope that makes sense?
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.