What is the most portable setup? (Laptop + Controller + ....?) (w/No external power)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What is the most portable setup? (Laptop + Controller + ....?) (w/No external power)

I was thinking of possibly switching a setup. I like to mix on-the-go. Portability and functionality are key. I would like to minimize what I am carrying around now, or would at least like to know if anyone has anything else that works for them. At the moment I am using an S2. Is there anything smaller and more compact that is recommended? Something that is as professional, but smaller? Of course, something that doesn't have to be powered externally. I would like to use this without having to plug this into any type of outlet.

I would even be interested if I could use my laptop and possibly a Z1? Would this work? Can you control traktor pro on the keyboard and use the Z1 to mix and cue?

I even have the traktor app on the iPad. What would be the best way to integrate this so I can mix, make mixes, dj on the go? What soundcard should I buy?

I would just like to have an ultra-portable, but 100% functional setup that I can carry with me easily.

Thanks! (Sorry if this is a noob question.)

Tech Guru

The VCM-100 is very small and functional, giving you all the basics you need with far better build quality than almost all current MIDI controllers. Only problem is it's discontinued so you'll have to find one second hand.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Nice...let me look into that. I believe you mean the VCI-100? I've heard some reviews, mostly positive.

Tech Guru

VCI is the larger unit without an audio interface. The VCM includes a Maya 44 sound card inside and is USB powered so there's no need for an external power supply.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Oh shoot...my wrong. Thanks for the clarification makar1.

Laptop and Xone K2. You can get 4 channels out of it with lots of controls.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

Thanks firebr4nd. Let me look into that as well...

Traktor DJ and an iPad? Add the Z1 if you want hardware control.

Tech Mentor

Will the K2 work as a mixer? Can I cue off of it? I am assuming when I midi-map it, I can. I have been looking for what software I can use it with. Would it be possible to use it with "Serato DJ?"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Traktor DJ and an iPad? Add the Z1 if you want hardware control.

With the Traktor DJ, I cannot cue...correct? I would need a Z1 to do so? And the Z1 requires a separate power source? (not portable)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast