Dont get to play? Still get paid?
    Tech Convert

Default Dont get to play? Still get paid?

If a venue books you in a closing position in a lineup, and the DJ before you kills the dancefloor to the point that the venue decides to shut down before you get to play. Should the venue still pay you? All? Just some?

They pay you first, then its not an issue
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

This is where contracts come in handy.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

See the 2 above answers - all my sets are contracted with an agreement that any issue that stops me playing within 2 weeks of the show they pay 50%, anything on the night its full fee.

If its all word of mouth and verbal agreements you don't really have a leg to stand on. Unless your a name with big social media pull who can then go on to warn others of this promoter.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

If an event staff hires a DJ who kills the event to the point of shutting down, Im wouldn't exactly be optimistic about getting paid at all, let alone if I "didn't do anything."

Roll the dice.

It's based on the promoter, or if you're working directly with the venue, the manager. They SHOULD pay you either way. You were booked for your time, skill, and service and if it is through no fault of your own, it's the right thing to do.

That being said, you're going to run into both good and bad promoters. It just comes with the territory. Contracts are all well and good once you are more established, but I've actually found that the use of contracts for everything is actually regionally based. Some areas you need a contract to do everything, other places won't book you and will just book someone else if a contract gets involved. It's not the right thing, it's just the truth.

It's something that I'm sure is different in every country, and even the local regions of those places.

I look at it like this: I go to every show asking myself two things; 1) What am I going to be playing on tonight (ie. will they actually have turntables, or will I have to use CDJ's) 2) Am I going to get paid tonight?

It depends a lot on the gigs you accept.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Thanks guys. Its been a topic me and a few friends have batted back and forth on and wanted to see what the community said. We kinda agree with Bassline Brine in that you were booked for your time, skill, and service and if it is through no fault of your own, it's the right thing to do.

But yes its not always the way it goes lol.

I'm one of those people who doesn't really give a shit about the money tbh; as long as I don't make a LOSS on a night, it doesn't really bother me. I'd be more upset I didn't get to play than I didn't get paid.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

its happened once or twice to me. if the promoter if a good guy, he will feel bad and pay you. If not, Just make sure your gettin free drinks, so If you don't play, just hang out and get ripped with the staff. lol

At the very least, you should ask for 50% before, and 50 after. That keeps you somewhat covered when this happens. I suspect it happens often.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.