Buying new Laptop.. So confused don't know what to do.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Buying new Laptop.. So confused don't know what to do.

I've ran a ASUS PC & TSP2 for around 2 years now. I'm running a traktor Z2 as my primary soundcard although I have an A6 & A10. I'll be using the new laptop for DJing & production only. TSP2, Maschine & Ableton

I currently have 3tb of music on 4 different hard drives all HD's are PC formatted.

If I buy a PC do I get Windows 8 or Windows 7 ultimate? Then there is the USB 3 issue?

If I was to buy a mac this is the only one I could afford. I need 15 inch because I run 4 decks sometimes.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD...-core-intel-i7

For the same price check out the specs of this ASUS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FZRj7Aodh2MAHg

Has anyone recently bought a new PC & have any thoughts or comments on their purchase? If I only spent 1k on a new PC I'd be really happy. Just not sure what to do?

Sorry to post another MAC/PC post...

thanks
    jeff
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Will I have an issue with my current beatgrids, cuepoints, Playlists ect changing over from a PC to a MAC?
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    TSP2

Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Will I have an issue with my current beatgrids, cuepoints, Playlists ect changing over from a PC to a MAC?
    I guess this is my real question now & the deciding factor moving over to a MAC.

Thanks
    Jeff
    TSP2

Tech Mentor

I'm certainly no computer guy, but from what I know, you'd be way better off going with an i7 laptop and upgrading the RAM and HD yourself. There are some Win7/i7 machines going for around $500 if you look hard enough. RAM will run you about $75 and an SSD about $200. You may even be able to find something with a dedicated GFX card in that price range as well. That should help performance in Traktor.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The 15' retina at that price is a darn good deal and will be speedy as hell!

You may even be able to find something with a dedicated GFX card in that price range as well. That should help performance in Traktor.
    That wont make a single bit of difference to Traktor

IMHO you might find switching arkward at first but the majority of people I know could not imagine switching back after using a Mac for a few weeks

I guess this is my real question now & the deciding factor moving over to a MAC.
    So far as I know you can just copy the NI folder across from the Win PC to the Mac.

Thanks Deevey
    TSP2

Tech Wizard

For what it's worth, a 'MAC' is a PC.

Your beatgrids etc will stay intact if you migrate because they get stored in the ID3 tags of the music files, if I'm not mistaken. I've had better luck with OS X than with Windows, but then again your mileage may vary.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by pleb View Post
    For what it's worth, a 'MAC' is a PC.

Your beatgrids etc will stay intact if you migrate because they get stored in the ID3 tags of the music files, if I'm not mistaken. I've had better luck with OS X than with Windows, but then again your mileage may vary.
    This is correct. Assuming all the mp3s are ID3 tagged, beatgrid/cuepoints and such will all be stored and transfer over fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pleb
    Your beatgrids etc will stay intact if you migrate because they get stored in the ID3 tags of the music files, if I'm not mistaken.
    I think you ARE mistaken.

I'm pretty sure the beatgrid info is held in the Traktor Collection...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I think you ARE mistaken.

I'm pretty sure the beatgrid info is held in the Traktor Collection...

Quote Originally Posted by dfinch805 View Post
    This is correct. Assuming all the mp3s are ID3 tagged, beatgrid/cuepoints and such will all be stored and transfer over fine.

Okay now I'm confused, haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast