Producing Equipment

Default Producing Equipment

Hey Guys/Girls,

Just pre ordered the Ableton Push and have recently come into a bit of
    money to spend on equipment. Should I look at getting more gear for producing
    i.e NI Maschine MK2 or look at getting a keyboard synth if so what kind of things
    should I look at with a budget around 600.

Thanks Sabian

Tech Mentor

Save your money and Spend more time researching...

Evaluate what your needs are. I haven't used Push, BUT it can perform the duties of both the keys and pads.

If you like Ableton but want more then start looking for specifically what it is you want in your set-up.

i.e. Want to record live guitars? Then you may want to look into an audio interface or Guitar Rig
    Classically trained piano player? Might look into getting at least a 61 MIDI controller

I usually advise people against going out and buying a "bunch" of shit right off the bat. Start with one piece, get to know it and then calibrate your set-up according to what improvements to work-flow are desired.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I went out and bought way too much crap, a bunch of plugins, three DAW's, Maschine, Push, a keyboard... it's all fine and good but it's too much to learn and really unnecessary. I just barely have enough free time to use one program, never mind 12.

Using Push, and Ableton, you have all you need to make music. There is so much to learn just in Ableton alone!

I still struggle because it's "gee should I use this, well I also have that, or that". When really I need to just finish some tracks and stop tinkering!

Cheer for the help guys, think im just going to wait for the push and just buy some other gear for dj'ing..

Thanks again

Get a good set of monitors. I highly recommend Korg Rokits...especially the 8" ones

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarbs View Post
    Get a good set of monitors. I highly recommend Korg Rokits...especially the 8" ones
    KRK Rockit?

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    KRK Rockit?
    oops my bad...was looking at Korg stuff on a another site right before I wrote this lol

Tech Wizard

I wouldn't go with Rokits for production to be honest. They sound great, but aren't as accurate or neutral as other pairs of monitors like Adam A5Xs, Genelecs, Mackies etc.