trance classifications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default trance classifications

Hi guys! I'm having a hard time categorizing my trance collection. I have many tracks which I can kind of group but I don't know how to call them, genre-wise. Is there a text about that somewhere? How do you categorize your trance tunes, or is it all trance to you?

The hardest thing for me is to differentiate between Uplifting, Euphoric and Classic Trance. And: Is everything with vocals in it really called "vocal trance"?

Some examples:

Which generes would you attach to these?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rkiesler; 09-21-2009 at 02:17 AM.
    my DJing stuff: http://dj.kiesler.at/

Hey mate, well i've been listening to trance for over 16 years, and no matter what bullshit sub-genres people start calling it, its still just trance to me. Check out this site tho, only a generalisation of genres but cool nonetheless.
    http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/music.swf
    At the most i'll categorise it as: Euro Trance, Progressive Trance, And Psychedelic Trance. Just my opinion tho mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

btw most of the tracks in your list are either euro or prog trance
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

why not group them based on warm-up, peak and end of night? maybe a couple of groups in between. tried that once with breaks and found they mostly did drop into the sub-genres at the same time.
    or group based on preference?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Good idea. Also grouping by bpm and "phatness" can help, regardless of genre

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    grouping by..."phatness" can help
    Phat trance? give it a few months and it will be a real pigeon hole, lol

SoundCloud

Also grouping by bpm and "phatness" can help, regardless of genre
    Yeah imo there should be a standardized phatness scale for categorizing music. . At the end of jazz concert reviews in the newspaper there ought to be a phatness number, so everybody--jazz fans or not--can understand. haha.

But really? Why put so much thought and effort into over-analyzing tracks and sorting them into unnecessary subgenres? That's something that annoys me about EDM in general. Seems like artists/producers are always trying to invent their own catagory.

I know it's not just EDM though. All genres of music try to have their crazy over-classification. It seems like being familiar with the most obscure artists in the most obscure genres is "proof" that you know the genre inside and out.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Yeah imo there should be a standardized phatness scale for categorizing music. . At the end of jazz concert reviews in the newspaper there ought to be a phatness number, so everybody--jazz fans or not--can understand. haha.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Why put so much thought and effort into over-analyzing tracks and sorting them into unnecessary subgenres? Seems like artists/producers are always trying to invent their own catagory.
    if you can't break ground in your chosen field, create a new one. that's why i play 'dirty, squelch, chunky, electro funk-jazz house breaks' lol

SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/music.swf
    At the most i'll categorise it as: Euro Trance, Progressive Trance, And Psychedelic Trance. Just my opinion tho mate.
    Thanks, that's the link I was looking for :-) And apparently, I was looking for the differentiation of Ibizia Trance, Uplifting ("Epic" or "Euro") trance and Progressive Trance.

So... Ibiza Trance is the softer one, but what's the difference between uplifting and progressive?

Categorizing with warm-up etc. makes a lot of sense. But as I also have all kind of other stuff in my list (mainly house) that kind of categorization wouldn't work for me. I don't want to over-do it either.

I could try to make playlists for warm up and so on, too.
    my DJing stuff: http://dj.kiesler.at/

I think you should just listen to a few hundred or so track and just trust your own ears and judgement man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast