Producing Beats

Thread: Producing Beats

Default Producing Beats

So what are some good plugins for making drums and beats [ kicks, snares, hats, et cetera. ]. I know you can make them with something like abletons operator and such but it always seems like the bass and kicks and such are not "punchy" or hard or deep enough and it ends up sounding really lame. Even the presets ableton comes with for kicks does not seem to be the kind of "true kick" and drums I am looking for. You know what I mean? I usually make my own melodys and every other element of a song but when I try to make the beats I end up failing and just use sample packs with premade kicks and such.
    Do these even come from plugins or are like all of these just sampled or what not?
    I know of quite a few "drum" plugins such as battery, drum rack, RMV, et cetera... but none of these are able to "produce" you own kicks and such they just hold samples or have samples already in them. The only exception I think is sub boom bass that i've heard of ....
    If you can help me out i'd love you forever!

Depends on the kind of kick you want, if you want a real "true kick" drum then you use a sample from a real drum, nothing is going to sound as real as a real kick drum

If you want a synthetic kick then you use a synth, to get the clicky attack part of the kick you do a downwards pitch bend on a sine oscillator so at the start of the kick the pitch is really high then dips down to a low frequency for the thudy boomy part of the kick - this is a common trick used in psytrance production. Infected Mushroom did a tutorial on this a while ago but, i have read about its existence but haven't been able to find it, if anyone knows where the tutorial is please post it my way as id like to check it out.

Theres nothing wrong with using sampled kicks, it all depends on sound that you are going for. Hell i even read that Mitsubishi used the attack of a basketball smashing on the ground as the attack part of a kick drum to get a really snappy attack.

All is fair in love, war and music

Awesome! you actually understood what I meant haha your my hero dude.
    That pretty much answered most of what I was wondering. and the kind of kick i'm looking to make is that real deep electro house type kick and those big OONCE type kicks haha. i've been trying at it but I only seem to be able to get a short pop, punch, type kick never been able to make it more "long" if you know what I mean by that.
    I don't think theres anything wrong with using samples or even an occasional loop if you can make it your own, my bud who also produces ( much better than me tho he is an ass about it and won't help me out haha ) gives me alot of shit anytime I use anything that I hav'nt produced myself lol
    anyway thanks a bunch that helped me alot to even just know you CAN make kicks from synths ( especially if infected mushroom does they're shit is dope )

in addition to what bento said, try layering different kick samples together and see if you can get that sound you are looking for.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Also try some fx on the kick, compression is a good one (check this out: http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/...e-compression/)not really sure how it works in ableton, but I suppose all compressors are kinda the same..
    good luck!

you can also try to synthesize, like bento said.

there is a very good drumsynth outthere, itīs 4 free.

http://www.e-phonic.com/plugins/drumatic3.php

this thing actually is the fattest around in itīs class...it also getīs you into creating your drums from scratch, in an easy kind of way.

iīve used it for a few month now and the only thing i can complain; drums lifted from wax still sounds different, a little more "life" or just "grit" ... so at the end you will try to give the synthesized drums some more grit or life thru layering or with other "free" plug ins...

experiment

funny i just downloaded drumatic3 today from a suggestion on kvrforum and it really does seem like great freeware!

Tech Guru

yeah one of the plus sides to doing some of your drum parts with synthesizers is you can modulate the settings to create some really trippy morphing percussion sounds. You hear this technique a lot in idm and glitch hop.

Heres an example for creating morphing hi-hats, open up one of your 2-3 oscilator vstis like WASP XT. make the first oscilator a "Noise" Wave and the 2nd oscillator a Saw, Square or Sine (whatever you want). Now at first turn the 2nd oscillators volume down, or if your vsti has an oscillator cross-fader push it to the "noise" oscillator side to mute out the the 2nd oscillator.

Now on the AMP ENVELOPE put the ATTACK to 0 , The DECAY to 0, and Sustan to 0 and Release can be kept at short-medium length .... now you'll notice that this makes a nice "tick" sound. Now if you play with the Decay and Sustain you'll notice it creates more closed or open hi hat sounds depending on the length you choose. To really give it that hi hat sound your going to want to add a bit of reverb as well.

Now to get the morphin effect you can play with the oscillator crossfader which alters the volume levels of each oscillator and you'll notice that you can smoothly change your hi-hat sound into a lead synth sound at will. To get more interesting effects start playing with the LFO and you'll be creating some very interesting mutant percussion!

Go wild, experiment!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 09-24-2009 at 03:39 AM.