Club DJ...what equipment?

Default Club DJ...what equipment?

Hi people, this is my first post on here, hopefully i'll get some good answers back coz im racking my brain right now!

Basically Im a DJ/ Producer from London, UK. Im also part of a DJ/ Producer duo. Whenever we get booked to play we have always used Vinyl or Traktor and a midi-controller (Kontrol s2).

However, recently i have been offered residency at a club in London as well as getting bookings at other clubs, my question is, what equipment should I get so that i can play at ANY club?

Ideally i'd like to just use my laptop/ traktor (or serato), but i want to be able to go to ANY club with my laptop and just plug in, using whatever cdj's they have. I know that software/ hardware like NI Audio 6 and Traktor scratch pro will allow me to play my Traktor library on any cdj's, but obviously I cant use the effects in traktor unless i purchase another piece like the Kontrol z1 or z2 etc.

What do you guys think I should go for? and what equipment do you guys use?

Cheers in advance for any info back.

AJ.

For showing up and playing I'd suggest an Audio 10 and at least one X1. That way no matter what gear is there you'll have audio and control over at least two decks. Best case you walk in and the have a DJM-900/2000 and two CDJs of the like and you can midi that shit up.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

you could always bring your laptop and an A6, then get an X1 to run the effects in Traktor. I use that if the booth is already fitted with CDJ/Turntables and there isn't much room for my controller. It all depends on how the clubs booth is setup. if there is enough room, the use your controller if you are more comfortable with that and plug right into the main mixer.

Tech Wizard

you could also mix externally and use the dim 900/2000's effects I believe

Wow, I'm racking MY brain trying to figure out how a DJ/Producer who's "part" of a DJ/Producer Duo doesn't know what they would need to play out by themselves, without their "other half"? Sorry, seems trolly/fishy.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

x1 + A6 or A10

Or some USB sticks and just use the 2ks which most clubs now have
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

my question is, what equipment should I get so that i can play at ANY club?
    A manager / agency who will ensure that whatever gear/configuration you want is there before you arrive

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Wow, I'm racking MY brain trying to figure out how a DJ/Producer who's "part" of a DJ/Producer Duo doesn't know what they would need to play out by themselves, without their "other half"? Sorry, seems trolly/fishy.
    I've got a friend who is an amazing DJ, and an amazing producer, buy he can't set up gear to save his life. I'm talking simple audio routing. In Reason, he can route things in a maze, but in real life, plugging the decks into the right channel is asking a lot. Not everyone "gets" it.

OP, a sound card like an A6 would be beneficial, as well as an X1 like has been mentioned. I'd also bring a couple usbs packed with tunes. That sets you up nicely then for whatever they have to throw at you.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Wow thanks for the replies guys! Really appreciate the advice! Im going to have a look into the x1 and also the z1 incase the mixer isnt midi compatible eg the Club i was spinning at tonight, they had cd-j 1000s and a djm-600, so i literally just had to play cd after cd, lucky i had the collection with me

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    lol dude I havent got time to be on the internet writing a whole load of BS to 'troll' anything, i assure you the questions I ask are fully legitimate! Anyways... Like i said previously my dj experience has been about 85% vinly, 10% midi controller and 5% CD-decks and when we do a shower my DJ partner is the tech head out of the two of us. Give me a pair of 1210s a mixer and im good to go.

Dripstep, thanks for your comments too man, I'll look into the a6 and x1, whats your opinion on a combo of the a6, x1 AND z1? Just incase i get to the club and im unlucky enough to not be playing on a midi-compatible mixer...(like tonight )

Deevey, this is true, we used to have this luxury when we had a manager, we parted with our manager earlier this year though, so we're acting as our own manager for the moment.

JohnnyBarbs, yeah but i'd still need something to act as my 'mixer' would I (if the mixer is midi) dont really want to use to s2 anymore you see, thats why I'm trying to find an alternative, haha a universal alternative

Cheers for the comments people.