Serato defector needs Traktor help please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Serato defector needs Traktor help please!

Hey guys

In the last couple of weeks I've switched from SL/SDJ to Traktor Scratch, for all except my video gigs.

And I am loving it, I must say.

The only downside is the rather unfriendly-looking NI forum; I've been active on the Serato one for a long time and it just doesn't compare.

So I thought I'd ask my question here where the Traktor pros hang out!

I have an issue with autogain.

It's the same with 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on OSX.

I mix externally using a DJM and an A6.

I'm finding that when I load Traktor, even though autogain is ticked in the prefs, it doesn't seem to function unless I open up the mixer panel to show gains and click them to turn them orange.

I can then close that panel and it works all night.

I've done my research, I read the article on NI's site so I understand what the blue and orange knob states mean.

But then, when I click from blue (deck gain) to orange (track gain), making no changes, I can hear, and see on the mixer VUs, the change in level.

This shouldn't be the case, right? Is this a bug I need to report, or is there something I'm missing?

Cheers!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

From my understanding
    orange = autogain on
    blue = autogain off, manual gain enabled.

A change in levels is the auto gain kicking it up/down to what traktor perceives as correct volume and the knob then does nothing in that state.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for replying deevey.

Problem is (and of course I'm new to this software) according to the NI knowledge base article and a big thread on the NI forum, my understanding is that shouldn't be the case, and autogain should be applied regardless of which state those knobs are in.

Now that certainly doesn't match up with my experience, and, apparently, yours too!

I'm expecting to have autogain activated in prefs, and it should just work...

Here's the forum thread:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=180086

And here's the knowledgebase article:

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...+TRAKTOR+PRO+2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    From my understanding
    orange = autogain on
    blue = autogain off, manual gain enabled.
    Not quite. Blue is the Deck Gain that remains constant when you change track. Orange is the Track Gain, which is what Autogain affects and can also be set at a specific value for individual tracks.

Switching the dial between Blue and Orange has no effect on my levels.
    Last edited by makar1; 08-11-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Just to clarify markar1, going between states only effects the level that one time, when I first click from blue to orange. After that it has no impact (which is what I would expect).

It just seems that I need to 'tell' Traktor to use autogain after launch, by switching modes. It needs doing after every launch.

Tech Guru

I'm using 2.6.3 on Windows with my on board sound card at the moment, and can't seem to reproduce that behaviour. I can try out my Air running OSX with and Audio 4 and see what happens there.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Appreciate it markar1. If nobody here can reproduce it, I'll open a help ticket with NI.

Was mostly just concerned I was getting something wrong.

Hi,

Wow I just read through that thread, and I don't blame you. Normally the NI forums aren't that bad, but I am a bit disappointed in some of the Mods in that thread. And I wanted to say that I not that impressed with how NI "updated" auto gain in 2.6 as well. I never really used it much but it was a lot easier to use in previous versions IMO.

I did mess around with it though and it does seem to work as they described it albeit a bit convoluted. Here is what you can do to verify for yourself.

Turn on auto gain and load a track into Deck A. Then turn it off and load the same track into Deck B. Clicking on the gain dot so it's orange should show the adjustments on Track A (+3.3dB in my case) and 0dB for Track B. And you should also be able to hear the difference in levels. You can then click back to blue and adjust the gain knob to match between the tracks and the levels should sound the same.

This is TSP2.6.3 running in OSX 10.7.5

If that does not work for you then yes definitely file a ticket with NI. I would also take screenshots or make a small video clip. That seems to help getting issues solve quicker in my experience.

Tech Mentor

Kill thee defector!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Kill thee defector!
    I'll have you on Traktor within 3 months Jeff.

You know the story of how the grass always looks greener?

In this case, it actually IS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast