Pioneer T1 or S1... cannot decide...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Pioneer T1 or S1... cannot decide...

Hi all,

I've registered to this forum in order to get some info regarding these 2 controllers...
    I'm from Holland and love music, especially house/club. Allready a few years I'm thinking
    about getting some dj-gear so I can set up my own mixes.

As till now, I have no experience with dj-ing or what so ever, also not at making music on my computer.

I've been checking internet and youtube for information but I cannot make up my mind and would like
    to have your opinion on which controller I should buy, the pioneer T1 or S1...

What do you think, and why?

It depends what software you want to use and how much money you have.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

hey to be honest both controllers sound a bit excessive. if you have no prior knowledge or experience i'd advice you to start out with something a little cheaper and simpler. I know that pioneer is a name that even people without any dj knowledge know to be good but you really don't need that to get you started. Try something Like a hercules RMX or Reloop digital jockey 2 (which you can pick up real easy & cheap through marktplaats.nl) these are quality wise fine to start out with and support all functions you need and won't cost you an arm and a leg like the pioneer controllers. (i myself used a hercules RMX for over 3 years and am now finally looking to upgrade to a 4 deck mixer) Also I'd advice you to start out with virtual DJ software. it is a real easy program to get to know all the standard dj stuff like beatmatching, cueing tracks, using fx etc... the program also ships standard with most entry level controllers and is a good easy out of the box solution for learning. Once you get to grips with everything and decide dj-ing is definitly something for you I'd advice to upgrade to traktor pro 2 and you could then also look to upgrade to a mid segment or pro segment controller. Buying pro equipment to start out with is not recommendable i think (you'd look like a right tool doing simple beginner stuff on a 1000+ euro/dollar mixer and if you'd decide you don't like digital deejaying after all you'd stand to lose a substancial amount of money to resell. newer/better/more intuitive versions of midi controllers pop up all the time)

I think serato is more catered to the vynil/time code solutions so unless you want to use vynil or are really into scratching and such i would not really recommend it (dont kill me if i'm mistaken here as i do not have a lot of experience with serato, i just know a lot of turntablists prefer to use this)

Ik kom zelf ook uit nederland dus als iets niet duidelijk is of als je nog vragen heb kan je me een PM sturen

succes met je keuze!
    Last edited by Rip van Winkle; 08-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Mentor

Ik heb een T1, dus vragen daarover kan ik beantwoorden.

Tbh, I think the T1 is a better solution as Serato lends itself more for hip-hop/club music. You can scratch way better with an S1 compared to a T1. However, Traktor offers a lot more possibilities (and so does the 4 channel T1) if you want to be able to run more than two tracks at the same time. It all comes down on personal choices, the 4 band eq was my main decision factor. Good Luck.

I'd say the S1 simply because it's simple.

But as someone else above stated, think about which software you want to use first.

If you want 4 channels, Pioneer 'quality' and Serato software:

http://www.pioneerdjusa.com/gear.aspx?product=DDJ-SX

Tech Convert

Default 69

S1, but as everyone else said, it'll depend on what software you are using

Tech Convert

Thanks for your replies.

I also thought the S1 is easier/simpler to use, and thought maybe this would be an advantage since I don't have any experience. Unfortunately the S1 is more expensive (S1: 675euro, T1: 570euro), but if it's a good controller I think it's worth it. I also thought about starting my "career" with a cheaper controller, but I prefer to start with good gear so I know from the start that it's good quality, and it won't get much better...

What do you think?

Tech Convert

Thanks for your advise.

Also I thought about buying a cheaper one, but thought it over very well, and think I would regret buying a simpler/cheaper model since it doesn't have the same quality as the pioneers, and eventually I want to be one of these pioneers... don't you think?

What I also learned on the internet is that the S1 overall is simpler and easier to use, this is a big plus I guess...
    I also thought of the SX, but this one is a few hundred euro's more expensive.

What do you think about CDJ's i/o DDJ's? Is there a real difference between these?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

If a choice was given between the T1 and S1 I'd go for the T1, while it has its quirks traktor is a damn fine piece of software with huge ranges of possibilities also as its just midi control its unlikely there will be any support issues for a few years to come.

The S1 is a fine piece of kit as well, but Serato dropping support for the XoneX soon after A&H discontinued it does not bide well for a unit that has already been superseded by the SX. I cant imagine it being kept in production too much longer.

IMHO save up for a lil longer and get the DDJ-SX, it really does have features/build quality that are well worth the extra $ over both the T1 and S1

Tech Mentor

BPM show is coming up maybe wait a bit longer and see what gets announced rather than buying an old controller, or the controllers you're currently looking at may drop in price

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast