Hardware question: Studio monitors/speakers/audio interface computer set up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hardware question: Studio monitors/speakers/audio interface computer set up

Hello DJTT,

NEW QUESTION: So I have a studio monitor, midi keyboard, a ddj sx, and a macbook. How do I wire the cable connections so that I can use my monitors for regular computer use, mixing, and then production without having to switch wires, which is what I am currently doing?

In original post, i was using a kontrol s4 and thought about getting the NI audio interface but now I just want to be able to use the studio monitors for multiple reasons without having to switch cables back and forth.

Also, I would prefer to use TRS cables for my monitors versus the RCA.

Thanks for answering.

(OLD QUESTION BELOW)

So I have two scenarios.

Firstly, I want to be able to connect to regular speakers for listening to music/Youtube and other things when I am not producing and then I have monitors for producing also set up in one computer desk area. I want to know how I should set it all up. I thought I come to DJTT before I go to guitar center. I was looking into Native Instruments audio interfaces but am not sure if I need them. If I do, do I go with the audio 6 traktor or do i go with audio 6 komplete. Basically, I will have my laptop, midi controller/keyboard, and mixer (for when I dj), studio monitors and then computer speakers. I want to have a clean set up with less cords and easy switch over between the monitors and speakers.

Second question, do I even need regular speakers or can I possibly use studio monitors for production and youtubing, media etc. If I just go with studio monitors, I would probably still need an audio interface? Right? And if so, maybe some suggestions on which one should I get.

I have been saving up slowly to get my room set up for production, djing, and also just daily computer usage the right way. Currently using an S4 (reason for choosing NI audio interface) but making the move to cdjs in the future.

I appreciate the answer guys. Thanks.
    Last edited by sicnarf033; 10-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Tech Guru

Studio monitors should work fine for Youtube and general listening. You could get the Traktor Audio 6 and route two outputs to your mixer, then route the 3rd output directly to your monitors for when you're not mixing.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Don't even need a Traktor interface unless you need it for using Traktor (though any interface with the right connections would do).

It sounds like if you're just doing some producing and listening you could totally just use 1 set of monitors. Most interfaces come with an application that allows you to route inputs/outputs. Have it set so that the main output of your computer goes to output 1 & 2 (or whatever outputs you hook up to the monitors), then just leave it. Your computer will always go out to your monitors and you won't have to set it up constantly. Open up your production DAW, make a preset or default the main DAW outputs to the same physical interface connections and you're good to go. Pretty much auto-pilot mode from there.

If you're just starting out and only going to be using 1 pair of monitors then there are quite a few good interfaces you could get. (Only listing USB since you didn't specify, firewire is also slowly being removed):

FocusRite Scarlett 2i2
    PreSonus AudioBox 22
    Apogee Duet 2

Any of these are more than good enough for audio work. The price changes reflect the addition/removal of features, and in the case of the Duet, the quality of the AD/DA converters. If you plan on getting a second pair of monitors in the future, simply buy an interface with more outputs.

This is really the simplest solution to what you're asking, hope this solves your problem. By the way this topic should be in the Music Production sub-forum.

Tech Guru

Out of all those, only the Apogee Duet can be used for (DJ) mixing as it has 4 mono outputs. It would also require the mixer to be turned on to hear anything from the speakers, unless you reconnect the wires every time.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

I do use traktor, I have an s4 at the moment. but also want to prepare myself when I move towards cdjs (also saving those) so i am not throwing out a lot of money. that is the reason why i am in the market for the NI audio 6. I want to buy as less hardware as possible and not be limited by each of em. So basically, want to get the most bang for the buck.

i am leaning more towards just getting monitors. especially when its good enough for regular computer usage and if need be, maybe a sub.
    Last edited by sicnarf033; 08-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Tech Guru

Unless you are selling your S4, you shouldn't need to buy another interface at all. For home use anyway.

Tech Wizard

Didn't realize you had an S4. Just stick with that. Even if you expand to CDJ's you can hook those up to the S4 and use it's internal interface. Like Makar1 said, unless you sell the S4, no need for an additional interface. If you really want a dedicated interface for producing then go with any 2x2 interface (like I listed above).

yes i am already on the move to sell my s4 and upgrade to club standard cdjs.

i unfortunately cant purchase all at once but in prep to do so by buying the necessary hardware.

updated question

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sicnarf033 View Post
    So I have a studio monitor, midi keyboard, a ddj sx, and a macbook. How do I wire the cable connections so that I can use my monitors for regular computer use, mixing, and then production without having to switch wires
    Connect the speakers to your SX.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast