Finally converting to digital! What gear and mixer do I buy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Finally converting to digital! What gear and mixer do I buy?

Hello everyone, today is the day that I decide to make the transition from my CDJ 350s and DJM 400 to a new digital setup!

I would like two Kontrol X1s to use for all four decks, with a 4 channel mixer and obviously Traktor!

Thing is, I don't have a macbook - I'm looking at buying a Macbook air just for Traktor and DJing so that I don't have to use my ASUS laptop (high specs) so that I can save that for coursework, general use and producing using Ableton - this is unfortunately taking up a large amount of my budget

My main question is: What mixer do I buy? I would like one with a built-in soundcard so I don't need an external

AND, I'm a little sleep so this may seem like a dumb question, but surely the mixer doesn't have to be anything special since the DJing is software based, and effects, loops etc are all controlled on the X1?

Thing is, I only have the price of my current setup (which I'd sell) of £900, and a few extra hundred to get everything

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
    Last edited by kbridge; 08-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Tech Mentor

I think first you need to decide whether you think external mixing is important or whether you are happy to mix internally....?

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Loco View Post
    I think first you need to decide whether you think external mixing is important or whether you are happy to mix internally....?

I'm not quite sure I know the difference
    K B R I D G E

Tech Mentor

External mixing is using Traktor as the sound source and for effects, but just routing each tracks to channels on an external mixer, where EQs and levels etc are controlled there.

Internal is using Traktors EQs and faders

External then, as close to a club layout as possible, using the mixer for mixing (obviously), then an X1 as transport control, to work the decks

does internal imply that you would use a midi controller opposed to a mixer or alter EQs etc through the software using a mouse/trackpad?
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

Internal implies that you'll use controller/mouse/keyboard/whatever has control over the program. If you'd like to gig with your gear, I'd recommend you to get a sound card and a cheaper mixer just in case the clubs don't have mixers with sound cards.

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    Internal implies that you'll use controller/mouse/keyboard/whatever has control over the program. If you'd like to gig with your gear, I'd recommend you to get a sound card and a cheaper mixer just in case the clubs don't have mixers with sound cards.
    any examples of a 4 channel mixer and sound card?
    K B R I D G E

Tech Guru

DJM 750 or DN-X1600 are on the cheaper side if you want an integrated interface and both have a fairly standard layout.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

NI Audio 10 is a quite popular sound card if you want 4 decks. I can't really help you with a mixer, I don't have any experience buying mixers.

so suggesting I get a djm and a soundcard, and I use said soundcard and DJM as my home setup, would I be fine to just plug my Traktor enabled laptop into a club setup which was using a mixer with built-in, this would be fine, yes?
    K B R I D G E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast